Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

Hi all,

We are renovating and need to purchase several sofas for a tall family with cats and dogs. Our tastes runs modern. For starters, we need:

(1) - sectional with sleeper for family room (around 115 inches by 91 inches)
    (2) regular sofa and arm chairs for living room
    (3) sleeper queen or king sofa for office

Tv room.pdfFamily room.pdfOffice .pdf

Attached are sketches of the three rooms. What brands shouldI be considering? So far, I’ve I’ve sat on king hickory, Taylor King, and Sherrill. All seemed fine, but it was hard to really compare the differences between the brands.

We are not too far from the store and are planning a trip, just trying to get our bearings first.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Martyinva; 06-11-2023 at 10:41 PM.

Default Re: Where to start?

For better made domestic product, you will find out that most are built the same way in the core basics, the difference will lie in the tailoring and foaming of the piece in non-prime areas, coupled with price points from one maker to another. Add to that the style and cover availability and you make your buy decisions based on that as well as how you like interacting with a particular dealer.

For example, For a fabric line I carry both Century and Taylor King in my store and they are built very similar, both are better-quality producers. Taylor King is a much smaller company and I think you get more bang for your buck from them without giving up on quality, though Century has more customization options.

In leather covers, Hancock & Moore is the best around, far nicer made than Bradenton Young (whom I also carry) but they will cost more than B-Y.

Nothing I. have at my store is mediocre or poor quality - I won't have it. So all are durable, well-made product and it can come down to one maker offering a style you like, or having a promotion on an item or series of items. It's back to being very competitive in the furniture industry in 2023, the Covid shortages are over.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Where to start?

Thank you! This is very helpful.