Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carmen Sofa questions

Arrow Re: Carmen Sofa questions

I can't believe that H&M are phasing out their Capri leather. It's so incredible to touch and holds up well too. The Capri Bordeaux would definitely be my first choice for the Carmen sofa. What does "vacuum-pressed wax finish" mean regarding the Carver leather. On the back of the leather sample, it says "smooth vacuumed dried grain" which I'm sure means the same thing,but still doesn't help me understand what it actually means.

Will the Carver hold up as well or better than the Capri Leather? We have a smallish 30-pound labradoodle who often gets on the sofa and she hasn't caused any scratches or damage to the Antelope Chino on our current sofa, but we're looking for a nicer leather for the new Carmen sofa.

Default Re: Carmen Sofa questions

Well, it's a business at H&M, they produce what people will buy. And in this business, it's largely price-driven. For example on a Carmen Sofa, the one you are looking at - there is a $ 4,464 price difference (at my prices) between a Grade 1 and Grade 7 leather (Carver) and nothing else on the piece changes. Cow hide is cow hide, one cow won't have a longer lasting skin than another, really, so you are paying for refinement, texture, hand, etc. So that's why GR 1 leathers outsell the nicer pure anilines day in and day out. Is it worth it? To some yes, to other no. Myself, being in the industry and appreciating fine leathers, its a safe bet what I buy for my own home you can probably guess, I don't bring home GR 1 leathers because to me the better hides are worth the extra cost.

Comparisons....for example

A Rolex Stainless steel Daytona watch is typically $ 13,000. The solid gold one is $ 42,000. The Platinum one $ 85,000, The movements are identical, the only difference is the metal used in the watch and dial colors. What do they sell the most of? The Stainless Steel models.

Wines. You can buy a decent Cabernet Sauvignon for $ 18 to $ 20 that is perfectly drinkable. But a nice bottle is $ 50 to $ 60 and if you enjoy wine, you can tell the difference. Then there are the boutiques that are $ 100 to $ 180 a bottle (and some way beyond that, but then you are just showing off). Are those $ 100 + wines worth it? Maybe, to some. They are generally exceptional, but only to those that know fine wines.

Don't even get me started on Chanel handbags....lol....because not even I can see why a Birken costs what it does

Antelope comes out of the same tannery as Capri, too! and that is a finished (painted) leather with the paint applied very thinly to keep the hand good on the hide.

There are different methods to fold wax into a hide, the most exotic being the vacuum method I am told. I have not done any tannery tours since they are in Europe, but I'd like to see the different methods in person.
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-30-2023 at 08:38 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you very much for all of the information. Would the Carver and Capri hold up equally well to potential light scratches from a dog? I'll be using the analine leather care kit on either one I purchase. Thank you for checking on the possible availability of the Capri Bordeaux.

On Capri Bordeaux, Hancock and Moore can get that color for you if you wish, though they said it will take some time to get it because it is out of the pipeline now and would be direct from the Tannery, As long as you are not in a hurry, they can do it. One of the reasons they dropped this colorway is the wide variation in dye lots from batch to batch. If you are looking to match an existing piece, they suggest you send in the "Flag" from your existing piece which is usually under the seat cushion as a flap of leather ( send to your dealer) and they will send that to the tannery to get as close as they can to it.

Capri does not really show pressure marks, because it is not a waxed leather. Carver is wax pressed, so those "scratches" are pressure marks in the wax. Any wax-infused leather will show pressure marks. If you want to remove them, you can use on of three methods 1) Rub vigorously with your balled up fist on the heel of your hand. That creates pressure and heat which reflows the waxes. 2) Use a Magic Cloth which we sell here at the store 3) Condition with Moore & Giles # 33 Conditioner.
    Duane Collie

I believe I would like the Capri Bordeaux
    Do you think we would be looking at 4 months or so from order to sofa delivery or 6 months or longer?

4 months is regular time, I would estimate 6 to 10 months is more likely. We are a bit into unknown territory so putting a time frame on it is not something I’m really comfortable with.
    Duane Collie