Thread: H&M 9844 City sofa taller legs?

Default H&M 9844 City sofa taller legs?

Good Saturday,

I recently received my H&M 9844 City sofa. It's wonderful except...

I find it difficult and somewhat painful to climb out of my seating position. I believe taller legs would resolve the situation.

Does H&M offer taller legs for this sofa? FWIW I have reached out to my dealer with no response.

Cheers!

Mark

Default Re: H&M 9844 City sofa taller legs?

Do those legs come off? You can experiment to find the right height, like if it is just a few inches, try sticking some 1x4 or 2x4 wood pieces under each leg until you find a height that is good for you. If you need higher, try some bed risers. Whatever feels best, keep it for a week to see how it goes and if it is good, then go with a more permanent solution.

I don't have a City sofa in my store right now to check, but if you flip it over on its back and see screw holes in the bottom of each leg, then they are removable. I am pretty sure they are....While not a standard offering, H&M does have its own frame plant and should be able to make you a taller leg. You would have to specify how much higher you would want it and they would have charge for it.

Did you happen to get Ultra down cores? There is more sink to those, if you firm up the cores then its MUCH easier to get up from the sofa. You can specify a plus 1 or a plus 2 core and they will build it for you, the most you would have to do is pay shipping. Your dealer can order those for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Do those legs come off? You can experiment to find the right height, like if it is just a few inches, try sticking some 1x4 or 2x4 wood pieces under each leg until you find a height that is good for you. If you need higher, try some bed risers. Whatever feels best, keep it for a week to see how it goes and if it is good, then go with a more permanent solution.
    Dan,

Thank you for ideas. So very much appreciated.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I don't have a City sofa in my store right now to check, but if you flip it over on its back and see screw holes in the bottom of each leg, then they are removable. I am pretty sure they are....While not a standard offering, H&M does have its own frame plant and should be able to make you a taller leg. You would have to specify how much higher you would want it and they would have charge for it.

Did you happen to get Ultra down cores? There is more sink to those, if you firm up the cores then its MUCH easier to get up from the sofa. You can specify a plus 1 or a plus 2 core and they will build it for you, the most you would have to do is pay shipping. Your dealer can order those for you.
    Duane,

Thank you for responding.

The legs appear to be installed using three fasteners, two Philips head and one either square or hex drive in a diagonal fashion.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	15629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	15630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1745.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	15631

My installed legs are 3" in height. I have reached out to H&M regarding taller replacements.

I was aware of the different cushion cores, but failed to consider that variable in my purchase. I got H&M's standard cushions. I will reach out to my dealer to order the different cores.

Cheers!

Mark

Hi Mark,

All four legs, correct? Sometimes the back legs are bonded on certain models. Those screws are not Phillips, they are # 2 Square Drive, be sure to use that bit so you don't strip out the heads if you remove them.

H&M will probably not reply to you - or if they do they will refer you back to your selling dealer. They do not deal directly with end users, sorry.
    Duane Collie

Duane,

I have heard from neither H&M (as predicted) nor the dealer (not surprised).

So yes, the dealer does matter folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fox View Post
    Duane,

I have heard from neither H&M (as predicted) nor the dealer (not surprised).

So yes, the dealer does matter folks!
    Frankly, I’m not surprised. Most dealers have only one concern……sales. What they fail to realize is to keep you as a client they have to do the things that don’t generate revenue. That’s how you keep loyal customers.

What size legs do you want? I’ll make some phone calls….
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,

I think 5-6" would be great. Much appreciated.

OK, have an answer for you on this. H&M will make another set of # 9844 legs and I used 5.5" as total height, cost is $ 225 for the seat of (4), plus shipping (usually $ 30). They are easy to install, we take them off and on all the time for tight deliveries, you would need to have a # 2 Square Drive bit on a cordless drill (or similar) to remove and reinstall. Email me at keepingroom@gmail.com if you would like to order.

Duane
    Duane Collie