Thread: Windsor chairs with more contemporary styling?

Default Windsor chairs with more contemporary styling?

Hi Duane-- I know you are a fan of Windsor chairs, which have dropped off tremendously in popularity since their heyday. I wonder if you still come across furniture makers who are making these chairs in the proper way, but perhaps in more contemporary/streamlined styles and colors other than black? Some of the very elaborate turnings on Windsor chairs read as "fussy" or old-fashioned to me, but there are some that to me seem to have a more up-to-date look without ruining the form. Like:

https://www.oandgstudio.com/wayland-...k-side-chair-1

Or

https://www.mainecottage.com/product...31272596897897

(I have no idea of the quality of either of those chairs; just talking about the look of them.)

You can find Windsor chairs by the dozen on Craigslist, but I don't know how they're constructed. And most of them have that elaborate look that is not my style (but I'm sure they look GREAT in the right house/setting)

Default Re: Windsor chairs with more contemporary styling?

Thirty years ago we sold more highly-crafted windsor chairs than anyone in the USA, it was our niche. Demand for that style fell off sharply in 2000 / 2001 and we essentially got out of that category, so I don't know all the players in 2023. Many of the premium makers when out of business or moved to doing kitchens which was much more profitable.

Bob Barrow used to own Warren Chair Works and when he retired he sold it to oandgstudio (in your link) around that same time period. I never bought from the new owner, put off my his change in business policies. A quick look at some of his designs show he when to plank seats and stopped through-the-seat construction (Bore and Wedge) on his contemporary styles. I would not personally buy any Windsor that did not have through legs and spindles as they will fatique and loosen up when its only a glue joint hold. Flat seats are not comfortable either, you need some sculpting.

Thos Moser chairs are pricey, but of the makers I am aware of today, these are the best contemporary builds and designs. But again, I've not been a player in this market for 20 years now, so there may be others.

https://www.thosmoser.com/product-ca...rdwood-chairs/
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-18-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Whoa! Those are gorgeous.

I read this story on the Post the other day about how "mid-century modern" has been popular for SO long now. At some point, some tastemaker will rebel against the MCM-Scandi-Danish-"Japandi" sameness of everything and then these early forms will make a comeback.

https://wapo.st/3NDpAKs

Of course, styles change - that is the one thing that is constant. When you see saturation in a "style", and its from every maker in every household, it will change. Sure, there will always be a few holdouts, but home furnishing as as much fashion as clothing. The trick of course, is to be first to market and capture those sales by setting the trend, not being late to the party.

A couple of examples:

Grey. Grey is so out right now in a colorway, makers are rushing to get out of it, as are flooring companies (grey plank flooring), and its essentially poison in the decorating community. Roll back to 2012 and it was THE color to do. Blues are making a strong comeback right now.

Craftsman homes. Almost very new home being built right now is Craftsman style. And they all look the same. The saturation point is approaching on these, though we are not there yet.

Painting classic furniture. A horrible trend. Taking fine, solid mahogany / cherry / walnut furniture and sanding it down, then painting it some god-awful bright color and sticking silver hardware on it. The pieces are ruined and in another 20 years it will be "Why did someone do this to this finely crafted piece?"

Period American Furniture will probably make a comeback in 2076, during the Tricentennial if we as a society still will celebrate our heritage. 53 more years to go - wish I would be around to see if my prediction will come true!
    Duane Collie

The rise and fall of "gray" has been fascinating to watch. Because you're right, I remember hearing on HGTV and reading in the different shelter mags that grey "goes with everything!" I remember getting a swatch of Benjamin Moore "Revere Pewter," which was such a popular color, bringing it home and it looked like mud on my walls. Just awful. I thought something was wrong with ME! ��

But you know, I get the pressure to feel like you're doing something "right" (that is, doing something that matches what everyone else is doing.) I"ve been going through the H&M catalog in preparation for a visit (I'm in Silver Spring, hope to get down that way in the next few weeks) and there are certain styles I like but then I think, is that too trendy? Will I get tired of this in however many years? I guess the only thing you can do is just know your own tastes and let that be enough.

Grey is somewhat "gloomy", and lacks any kind of warmth. If your intent is to create a cool environment, it can work with black furniture and a shot of red and chrome here and there. But for the most part, people prefer "warmer" rooms which is why you can never go wrong with earth tones.

H&M offers both trendy items and classics. The classics can be rather boring though, like the Doyle - it's the sofa equivalent of a penny loafer. I had a client order this Macgregor in a sectional variation on Saturday and we are putting three different leathers on it, this will be spectacular. Trendy? I don't think it really is, but it's going to be a statement piece to be sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163377866_4397875220240504_5869367720681304376_n.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	15632
    Duane Collie