Thread: Help Identifying Swedish mid-century double cabinet dresser set Nordiska Kompaniet NK

Default Help Identifying Swedish mid-century double cabinet dresser set Nordiska Kompaniet NK

Hello,
    Reaching out to see if anyone on the forums might have any information regarding the designer, style or anything related to these pieces. Please read description, provenance and see pictures.

I inherited two of these beautifully crafted and designed dresser/cabinet combination pieces from my grandparents. They received them as a wedding present in the 1940s from my great grandfather in Stockholm and he had them shipped via boat to Washington DC from stockhom. Which must have been quite an endeavor.

The only manufacturing mark I can find is a round metal logo on both of the cabinet doors that say "NK", Nordiska Kompaniet, the department store in Stockholm who I know have represented a lot of mid-century furniture designers. One of the cabinets has a lock with an ornate key.

The pieces appear to be made of different types of wood and are modular in design in the sense that the top cabinet part easily lifts off the drawer section. Also the shelves inside the cabinet slide out for folding clothes or arranging items. The height and spaces between the shelves can also be adjusted by popping out the wood strip that the shelf rests on and aligned in different grooves. Additionally the "feet" of these pieces are also modular and not attached and can hold either the drawer section or the cabinet pending on which part you want on the top or bottom. Very lego like in that everything snaps together in different combinations without hardware and remains solid in structure. Very smart, non hardware based modular design. Pictures might illustrate better.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image8.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	15691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image15.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	15690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image11.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	15694
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	15693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	15692  

Default Re: Help Identifying Swedish mid-century double cabinet dresser set Nordiska Kompanie

Hello,

It's fascinating to hear about the unique and beautifully crafted dresser/cabinet combination pieces you inherited as a wedding present from your grandparents in the 1940s. The fact that they were shipped from Stockholm to Washington, DC adds an interesting historical dimension to their story.

The "NK" (Nordiska Kompaniet) metal logo on the cabinet doors is a significant clue, as this department store represented many mid-century furniture designers. The modular design, with adjustable shelves, easily removable top cabinet parts, and interchangeable "feet" is indeed a smart and versatile feature, reminiscent of mid-century Scandinavian design principles.

While I don't have specific information about the designer or style, you might want to consult with a professional appraiser or furniture historian who specializes in mid-century Scandinavian design. They may be able to provide more insights and possibly identify the designer.

It's a remarkable piece of family history and design innovation. Best wishes in your quest to learn more about these unique cabinets, and thank you for sharing their story!