Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Notice

Default Re: Retirement Notice

Great news Duane! I think you'll like the compromise, as long as you are able to carve out me time. Many folks, including myself, have learned the work anytime anyplace WFH sometimes becomes you're expected to do so!

Duane, it was great talking with you in store a few weeks ago. I'm really glad you'll continue to be able to sell. I loved visiting your store the few times I've had the opportunity (it's a long drive from Ohio, lol), but the first time I bought from you it was over the phone from what I had seen on the forum. I think I'm split about 50% / 50% now with forum/phone calls and in store. I hope to be able to stop by the store again before you close up.

Thanks Brian. As my sell-off of stock continues I have had several customers come in just yesterday and say "I came back with my husband to show him that furniture I wanted to get and its gone!" Yes....that happens when its all on markdown and clearance-priced! I had SO MUCH product in the store early in the Fall. About half of it is sold off, and now the store looks "normal", not overly-packed when it was really full. You can actually walk around the showroom now without bumping into things.

I think we are at a transition phase for the Furniture Industry, I've been on the phone with a lot of the owners of companies and they all realize the Internet has forever changed the business models they have long resisted. There are no new high quality furniture stores opening other than direct-to-consumer chain stores like Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, C2C, and so on. Brilliant operators that rely on Marketing to sell their products rather than quality in the pieces. And it works, I don't take anything away from them on it. They spend a lot of money to make walking into their stores feel rich and expensive, a shopping adventure that transcends them product itself. Like fancy packaging which has become the rage the past couple of years since Apple started doing it, impressively wrapped up!

I forsee in the not too distant future the manufacturer's opening their own stores and selling direct to consumer. They almost have to - there are no new independent dealers opening retail locations these days to sell and market the premium brands. I look at the Washington DC Market, one of the wealthiest in the Country and while there are plenty of Costcos and stores selling cheap furniture that comes in containers by the hundreds of identical pieces, there are no stores to buy quality product. After my store closes up, there will be only one store in the region to see better brands and its in a warehouse near Manassas Airport with the furniture just piled onto a concrete floor. The customer service there is dismal as well Not hardly a shopping experience people want. I can see manufacturers having to open their own stores to keep their brands alive and in front of the consumer. One of their biggest concerns is keeping it staffed with good people though - that's a pretty big deal.

So yes, my suppliers all want me to keep doing what I am doing without a (previously required) showroom so far. That can always change and of course there are certain people that have already stated they would never place an order with a business that doesn't have a storefront - so I guess they are going to have to drive to that airport warehouse!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This is a very good arrangement both for you and for your loyal customers. I'm happy for you that this has worked out well and you can both be home to care for your wife, have some time for yourself and still make a good living (at least I hope it's a good one). My husband retired 13 years ago and now does consulting. It give him something to do that he enjoys.

I will continue to be one of your distance customers.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 01-17-2024 at 08:39 PM.

Duane, congratulations! Also, sorry to hear about your wife and good on you for shouldering that responsibility. I'm a newcomer here, mostly reader, but your knowledge and information is invaluable. The amount of times I've googled "xxx furniture company myfurnitureforum" is countless. The physical store is great, but it's your knowledge and customer service that people will miss, whenever that day comes. For now, relieved and happy to hear you'll still be active online.

I have an update, one I make with great regret, but my wife and I feel it should be done.

I am no longer going to take orders after the end of the Hancock and Moore Sale Period, which is Feb 8th. That is for all items, all brands and products.

What prompted this change? Well, in the effort see what happened to me after the mini-stroke that I had this past Summer, the Doctors discovered that my cancer has returned, with final confirmation coming in this morning. Being a one-person business, I don't want to be in a position where my customers are asking where their furniture is after they ordered and I could be unable to respond in a timely manner

For those of you seeking cushion core replacements or parts like gas struts, you can order directly from the maker. Also, and warranty issues will be handled directly by the maker as well.

What I need to focus on now is clearing out all remaining floor stock as soon as possible. The quicker I can sell off the inventory and fixtures in the store, the sooner I can re-direct to health issues full-time. Please mention to your friends - effective today I am marking everything down even more aggressively than before.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-03-2024 at 02:00 PM.
    Duane Collie

Duane, the most important thing for you right now is your health. Taking care of yourself and your wife is what you need to concentrate on. I'm sorry that you will not be able to continue with your part time business as planned, but it's more important for you to concentrate on yourself and your wife.

Take care and hopefully the store will clear out quickly so you can concentrate on yourselves.

Duane,

Sorry to hear your news but the important thing is to take care fo yourself and take care of your family. A smile comes to my face everytime I thnk about the time you gave me a ride in your Porsche. Hopefully, we can do it again sometime in the future. All the best from Allison and I. Warm regards, Sean

I am so sorry to hear that. I fully second and third your need to concentrate on yourself and your wife. I so hope you can beat it again.

Oh yes, I'll get past this. I'm already in touch with my Surgeon from 2006 (John's Hopkins) who is now Chief of Surgery for MD Anderson, Banner health in Phoenix, AZ. I trust him 100% and we spoke on the phone today. When you have a strong corner - it's empowering, and I never quit a fight.
    Duane Collie