Thread: Retirement Notice

Threaded View

Default Retirement Notice

I have made a decision to retire.

It has not been an easy one since I love this business and my customers. I will be 70 years old on my next birthday, and that's too old to be unloading furniture off trucks. The small stroke I had in July cemented the decision.

I have already listed my building for sale with a commercial broker and will begin selling off all floor stock at discounted prices. Once the floor stock is gone, the store will close. It has been a good run, my store has survived all the downturns in the Market and my customers are very loyal, which I have appreciated more than you can imagine. Without your support, there would be no Keeping Room, for that I am grateful.

I don't think there is a buyer for my business, it's hard, physical work that requires an owner presence. Furniture stores are rarely sold, mostly they just close. However, if someone does want to buy it - reach out to me at to discuss.

I will continue to take orders as I expect it will take 6 to 12 months to sell off all the floor inventory (the store is fully packed right now, its very full). At some point I will have to cut off orders, but that will likely be later on in 2024. Most my suppliers will not allow me to work from home taking orders, and require a brick and mortar presence to continue to sell their lines.

I will be discounting all floor inventory in order to move it out. I will have to tag everything which is going to take some time. For now, it will be 10% off all tagged prices on every piece of furniture, 30% off all accessories (lamps, artwork, rugs, etc). Please don't expect me to photo every single item and post it, that is too large a task. All sales will be final.

It has been my honor and privilege to be your dealer for all these years and help everyone out with over 15,000 posts to this forum since its creation in 20008. What a ride!

Duane Collie
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-29-2023 at 10:54 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.