Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Notice

Default Re: Retirement Notice

Sad news Duane but completely understandable. I purchased most of the furniture in my house from you. From a John Buchanan desk I use in my home office to Hancock and Moore and JL Treharn furniture throughout my house. It was great to be able to deal with someone who was not only an expert in home furnishings but was, more importantly, honest and able to provide the best pricing available for some really nice furniture. Every time someone sees my dining room or living room furniture they always ask where I purchased it and who made it because it is of such very high quality. Enjoy a well deserved retirement.

P.S. I'm in NY but may have to take a road trip to your store in the coming months to pick up a piece or two before you close.

Understood, and you deserve it. You've helped untold numbers of people with this site, and many people no doubt remember your advice fondly every day when they sit or lie down on their favorite sofa or recliner.

This site is an amazing resource, I hope you keep it going or find someone to take it over.

It's bittersweet but I have to remember to not be selfish and be grateful that I found the forum and The Keeping Room when I did. But I was very much looking forward to ordering H&M bar stools in a few years when we get around to remodeling our kitchen.

Perhaps H&M can use this forum to generate some kind of AI bot to answer questions about their product offerings. Or could you become a dealer trainer for H&M? With your knowledge and experience, I bet they could really improve their salesforce and increase their volume if others could learn even a fraction of what you know about furniture.

Duane you have been a pleasure to work with and I appreciate your dedication to your craft, your customer base, and this forum.

Cheers to you sir!

Thanks! I am quite sure I can get a job in the industry if I want one....not sure I do, however. I've worked hard since I was 14 years old, that's 55 years of mostly physical jobs. I may just enjoy the sunshine!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, while this is hard news to hear, I want to wish you all the best in your retirement, you have certainly earned it! And what a legacy you leave behind - so many of us have not only been well-educated by you in all aspects of fine furniture, but also have the priviledge of having ordered this furniture through your store, and will be using this for many many years. We absolutely love our Taylor King couches and Hancock and more leather chairs and would never have had a clue about how to choose such quality pieces without your help. I only wish that we lived closer and were able to take a road trip.....hmmmm who knows maybe I can twist hubby's arm into taking his truck for a little detour via Virginia! Again, many many thanks and best of luck.

Congratulations Duane, you have earned it. Thank you for being patient with me through every one of my purchases from The Keeping Room. I have had my fair share of transactions with you I think I bought my first piece of furniture something like 15 years ago or so. Wow, time sure does fly. I might just have to find a reason to buy one last piece of furniture....my homage to Duane and The Keeping Room

Best of Luck!

Congratulations Duane! Although your store was a rather recent, and completely accidental discovery for us (saw a piece of furniture we were looking to purchase on your forum), it turned out to be an extremely valuable one. We had just the best buying experience, and have received a wealth of information from your forum. And we haven’t really yet scratched the surface. You are such an honest and forthright person to buy from that I have to say somewhat jealously that I’m just a bit sorry to see you go. But no matter how much you love what it is that you’re doing, there comes the time to stop, and you know when that time has arrived. Interestingly enough, I got the first good information about leather care from you on a Porsche forum. And I didn’t know the writer was you until we met. All the best wishes to you on your retirement. Hope it’s long and enjoyable. One thing will now be certain: Northern Virginia will be home to the cleanest Porsches on the planet! Don’t need anything, but we may just have to get down to Alexandria before the doors close for the last time.

Duane,

Thank you for helping so many of us! Your willingness to share your knowledge of all things furniture related (and more!) has been educational, incredibly helpful, and much appreciated. You have always gone above and beyond, including with those of us who needed a bit of hand holding while working our way toward our furniture purchases. This is rather bittersweet, but CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on your retirement and all the best wishes and health for you and your family! Job well done!

Sincerely,
    TXCajun

Going out of Business is HARD. I have not worked this much. or for this many hours in a very long time.

I am not getting to anyone in the time they expect..

Remember, I am a one person operation, though my wife is coming down to assist, but she is not of the business and is not trained up on specifics. With so many people coming in the store now to get the clearance specials, I am not at my desk and cannot take the endless stream of phone calls. Sorry. Leave a voice mail or send an email. Repeated calling isn't going to help. I have to be on the floor when there are people in the store. Please do not call to ask if I got your email two hours after you sent it. I can't reply promptly to them - Allow 24 to 48 hours. The more complex the email, the longer the response time will be.

* In Store takes priority. If there are people in the store, I have to be out there.

* Next are orders, either new orders or for existing stock. Yes, I am still taking new orders.

* Decorating assistance, or parts orders for replacement cores, general questions etc....sorry - you are on the back burner for now, I will get to them when I can and that can be up to a week.

Selling my building is also taking a lot of time, getting documents the sale, setting up closing, and doing the monthly taxes to the State and Feds. Also, one of the reasons I am retiring is I have not recovered from the medical event I had July 6th. My vision and balance are both compromised so it takes me much longer to do things - the speed I used to have is gone. Please be patient.

The Inventory is selling down and leaving gaps in the store which I find unsettling. I am not used to that and have always had a full store in the past. Its very strange to see otherwise for me!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane Please take care of yourself first!!! I understand your wanting to sell everything ASAP, but your family needs you to be well.

Take care of you first!!!