Thread: Store Closing

Default Store Closing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STORE CLOSING-jpeg.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	15802

I have sold my building that The Keeping Room is located in and am selling off to the bare walls effective today. Deep Discounts (remember, my floor stock tags already reflect a deal buy in almost all cases). The new owner will take possession of the store front in late February 2024. That means EVERYTHING has to go in the next 90 days.

Example, this Hancock and Moore 6542-3 Redford Sofa in Juno Tobacco which would price out at $ 7,344 for a new order, is already tagged at $ 3,949 has an additional 20% off to make it $ 3,159.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redford2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	15803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	redford.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	15804

I know (and appreciate) my out-of-area customers will want to see what I have in the store. At this time I do not see how I can possibly do that with images and inventory, sorry. Maybe a walk though video later on, but I won't be able to do every piece with description and price. Get in your car or truck, and come to Wash DC to see what there is, the store is still full right now.

I cannot arrange shipping nor store pieces beyond 14 days. If you are out of area and want to purchase, you can arrange shipping via www.uship.com or similar at your expense. If you pickup yourself at the store 6% VA Sales Tax applies.

I will continue to take orders orders for clients at regular pricing as long as the suppliers allow me to. It has been my great pleasure to serve everyone over the past 37 years and I thank you for your business.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Store Closing

Congratulations on the sale. I am sorry to see you go, but I am glad you will be able to enjoy your retirement a bit sooner. Wish I could come down. Still need a darned ottoman, lol.

Congratulations Dwane! I purchased a Pub Sofa from you years ago (2007?). Looks even better with age. I wish you a long, happy and healthy retirement. Dan Boden

Congratulations, Dwane! Sending you the very best wishes for a long, healthy, and joyful retirement!! Thank you for all these years of expertise, you will be missed!

My wife and I went through the same process when we closed our store, Gladstone Country House, 7 years ago. When we got the call that Treharn had closed it put a whole bunch of things in motion that led to our closing announcement. We were amazed at the number of people that came in that first month while we were still taking orders; we had 6 months of business in 5 weeks. We were also like you, a small 2 person operation. Sales, receiving, delivery, advertising, and all that jazz. We sure don't miss the wear and tear on our bodies, I had both knees replaced about 1 1/2 years before closing as well. You'll miss the routine for the first week or 2 but soon you'll probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner but timing is always right. Good luck!

A lot of people don't realize how physical this business is. It's worn out my body as well. Interesting about Treharn closing and the like, Sherry gave the retail store thing a try for a few years as I'm sure you know, but her store is gone now, too. I have not spoke with her in a few years so I don't know what she is up to now. Retail is far different than manufacturing to be sure.

My building sold much-MUCH faster than I was expecting. My biggest concern is liquidating floor inventory - not so much the big stuff as that is leaving at a steady pace, but the accessories , art and lamps. At 30% off right now, I'm just 10% above cost - plus freight on smalls. That's what keeps me up at nights, I have to be bare to the walls by end of February.
    Duane Collie

The small stuff was our biggest issue as well, I had to change my mindset to one of realizing it was dead money just sitting there and I could either get some money back from it or else plan on writing it off as a donation at the end of the deadline. Even so, I ended up with 3 Visual Comfort chandeliers that I have in storage that I should have taken the lowball offers. Bird in the hand and all that.

It's been just past a month since I announced the store closing and a lot of people have taken advantage of floor model discounts which has cut the inventory by at least 1/3. The store was really packed before! With another 60 days before I have to turn over the keys to the new owner, I am keeping my fingrers crossed for a good sell-through. As soon as I have time, I am going to set up a fireball sale table that's going to look like a Dollar Store. I have things like plates and dishes, and country chandeliers that are going to be marked pennies on the dollar.

One thing I find interesting is that so many people have touble doing percentages in their head. So I am trying hard to mark everything with a Clearance Sticker showing the price, rather than asking folks to compute the discount. If you come into the store, bear with me as we complete that task over the next week or so.

Please also note that due to medical issues, I cannot help carry larger and heavier furniture from the upper level down the stairs. I still have significant balance / vertigo issues that make it unsafe for me to do so. In some cases you may have to wait until I can have my delivery guys bring items downstairs at a later date if you are self-hauling.
    Duane Collie