Most customers think that furniture warranties are like car warranties, they start when you take delivery of the vehicle. That's not how it works in this industry. The furniture warranty begins the date it it shipped from the loading dock of the furniture maker. This causes some confusion, especially on floor models that a store has had for some time. Its not secret that floor models move slowly, I have plenty of floor pieces that are a year old (or older). When you ask the salesperson what the warranty is, and they go look it up, that's for a brand new item, not a floor model. The kicker too, is most salespeople don't know this. So you buy a 2 year old floor model recliner that has 1 year warranty on the motor as an example, and that warranty has expired while on the dealer's showroom floor. If there is a failure and it needs a new motor, its often a shock to both the end user and the store that its not covered due to age of the piece. When I first started this business, that came as quite a surprise to me as well! There is some leeway from the manufacturer's on this, but its in weeks, not months and certainly not years.

The good news however, is very few high quality pieces ever have a warranty issue, its quite rare. Just be aware that your floor model buy from a store may not have that manufacture's warranty due to aging out in the showroom.