Thread: Geezerdom and TV Voluime

Default Geezerdom and TV Voluime

My wife and I have different preferences on TV volume, which usually makes it impossible for us to watch a movie together. She likes it turned down low, and I can't hear the dialogue. As soon as I turn up the volume, she will complain and sometimes leave the room to go do her own thing. When its too low I grab the iPad and tune out of the movie. I had my hearing tested recently, I'm not hard of hearing so its really a preference more than anything for both of us. TV's are Sony's with settings to Dialogue, but that's often not enough - especially anything with British accents.

One day I went looking for a solution. There is a product out called TV Ears that has been around FOREVER. They market to ancient people. My Mother had a set and they look goofy as all get out and that entire module hangs from your ears with the weight on your ear canals. Not ideal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVears.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	15887

Then I found this product from Sennheiser and they are much more high-tech. Connect to the Optical Port behind the TV, so you have both standard TV volume PLUS this has its own amp / connectivity to boost, and it runs on lightweight earbuds. I bought it, hooked it up and PERFECT. With the open-air earbuds I can still hear someone talking to me (unlike closed in headphones), and there is a small control box you put n your lap to adjust the volume. Now my wife can listen to the regular speakers at a lower volume, I can stick these in my ears and pump it up to where I need it to be.

So yeah, if you find yourself geezering on volume, these do the trick without cutting out the main TV sound like bluetooth headphones will do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYSRVR5...roduct_details
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Geezerdom and TV Voluime

Nice tip, I liked the volume louder than my wife too. I describe it like I want to just hear the TV, I don't want to have to listen. Subtitles are good too, we sometimes have the volume lower but subtitles on. I don't like subtitles for comedies though as it can ruin some of the jokes.

Default Re: Geezerdom and TV Voluime

Try that unit from Amazon (they have easy returns if you don't like it). It really works well. If you do the Optical hook up be sure to remove the little plastic protection covers on the cable. I find I use mine even when my wife has retired for the evening. I can crank it up and watch something like Blackhawk Down without disturbing her.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.