Thread: sectional

Default sectional

Duane,

I'm looking for a sectional to fill a large living room, and possibly some matching chairs. I'd like to be able to recline in the sectional, and if possible maybe have a chase as my wife likes those. I'm not really familiar with what H&M is offering in this segment, but I'd appreciate some guidance and maybe a possible alternative to H&M. I've attached some photos of what was in the room to give you an idea of scale. 16.pdf15.pdf

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Re: sectional

I would probably go to Bradington Young for a leather sectional with recliners and chaise components. There are more configurations you can do with B-Y and the overall cost will be less than Hancock and Moore. Be aware however, I have had some visual alignment issues when mixing Stationary and Recliner components together at B-Y. Hancock and Moore pays more attention to that sort of thing however they will be priced higher.

These motion sectionals are large and have bulk to them, you want to be careful to not over power the room with furniture both from a physical size and visual weight. Err on the side of smaller instead of larger is usually a good idea in this category. I think its a good idea to get some graph paper and do a scale drawing layout of the room on paper. Cut out all the pieces after printing out the .pdf's and position them in your scale room drawing. See what works and remember. you need a minimum of 24" of walk space between objects.

Here's the Bradington Young pdf for their 900 series which has a chaise component to it.

https://revalize-microd-production-a...nd-options.pdf

And here is Hancock and Moore's Your Way Motion

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Docu...nOrderForm.pdf

In leather, most any of these will price between $ 10K and $ 20K depending on which maker and which pieces you use. Also, if you are going to have your "Spot" in the sectional, the one you are always going to sit in and its a recliner, I would order a spare seat casing for that position and store it away. Men tend to only sit in one position on these and that leather will wear at a much faster rate than the rest of the piece. When you go back to the maker to get a new seat casing in 10 to 12 years, they won't have the hide or the patterns anymore and you will be out of luck. Buy the spare when first ordering and you will be all set later on down the road.

Each maker has these in their "Design Your Own" program so you can change arm styles, back styles, wood feet, etc. A good sectional design does require doing some layout homework first to make sure YOU like the way it fits in the room. And remember too, all terminology in the industry is done with the person facing the furniture. So, LAF means Left Arm Facing, the piece as you stand in front looking at it has the arm on the left side. Don't get that mixed up, because if you do you may order a sectional and it will be configured the opposite of what you thought you were getting.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Also if you are not sure if it is too big for the room get some cardboard boxes or totes or whatever you have handy or cheap and actually fill in the space where the sectional would be with the same size. Better to spend $40 or so than regret spending $15,000!

So my wife came up with this since we'd like two reclining units next to each other. I'd like cup holders in the arms if possible, but it looks like that's only on the motion 2 units and they don't appear to have as many options. Thoughts? I was thinking maybe we could do two theater seating units as a sofa, then have the rest of the sectional. This is all from Hancock and moore, I'd be open to other lines if they had something comparable as well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	living room.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	15942