Thread: Moving Chair From Wood Floor To Carpet

Default Moving Chair From Wood Floor To Carpet

Recently took the authors chair from hardwood to carpet. I was worried about permanent indentations in the carpet so I was going to order some kind of covers or something. But then when I looked under the feet, I found that this bolt could be removed and that would most likely solve the problem!

Am I missing something…I don’t think this affects the attachment of the foot to the ottoman or chair.

Anything else I should do to prevent damage to the carpet?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leg Bolt.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	15955

Default Re: Moving Chair From Wood Floor To Carpet

That's a leveler. it won't hurt to take it out but I'd retain the leveler screw for future use. If your chair, or any other piece of furniture with levelers, is placed on an uneven surface, one or two of the screws can be adjusted to compensate for the surface disparity. For instance, I too have a Hancock and Moore Author chair and the front legs sit on a rug with a rug pad underneath while the back legs sit directly on a hardwood floor. This means the front legs are elevated by half an inch compared to the back. To compensate, the rear levelers needed to be adjusted to raise the back of the chair by the same half inch.

That's the purpose of the "bolt" that you've removed. If the chair is sitting level on a carpeted surface and you are concerned about indentations, I'd say it's fine to leave the levelers removed.

If you remove the leveler, then be sure to tape or zip-tie it inside the chair frame itself so you know where they are if you re-install. Your carpet is going to crush, no way around that. However if you remove the piece the carpet will spring back in a few week, and you can hold a steam iron over the depressions to help them return quicker. That's not really damage to the rug though, just compression. Real damage to the carpet would be if the wood legs get wet or the chair legs sit on damp or wet carpet, it will leech out the stain from the legs and permanently stain the carpet. If you clean your carpet, be sure its dry before you put the chair back in place or if you spill a liquid around the leg area, put some aluminum foil under the wood legs until the carpet is try. The Inserts for the levelers are zinc-coated steel, I would probably put a piece of duct tape over the metal if taking the leveler off, as that metal can rust with moisture and humidity and leave a rust mark on your carpet (or simply leave the levelers on).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Well I am glad I asked.

They have been put back on....don't want stains on the carpet and if the compression will bounce back then it's really not an issue at all.

Much appreciated!!!

Youcan also put a clear glass furniture coaster between the bottom of each leg and the carpet, to evenly distribute the weight and keep the metal from really digging into the fibers of the rug. Just google the term and you’ll find places to buy them. They work.