Thread: Remove scratches from semi-aniline leather?

Default Remove scratches from semi-aniline leather?

I bought two expensive leather chairs, and within a month they had so many scratches on them. I've read a little bit about semi-aniline and how it's not as durable as full aniline leather. Is there any way to remove scratches from semi-aniline leather? I don't want to try something and end up making it worse.
    Thanks

Default Re: Remove scratches from semi-aniline leather?

Hancock & Moore was able to send me a small container of dye to match my leather. It doesn’t remove the scratches but it does make them much less visible. There are also people that will re dye leather.

You have a pull-up leather, a Pure Aniline, most likely (without photos, difficult to say for sure). Semi-Anilines don't show pressure marks. A pull-up hide is super-nice, but for the uninitiated the first time you see these "Scratch Marks" on them it can be alarming as all your life you have probably just had Finished hides on leather goods.

A classic Pull-Up leather is infused with oil and wax during the tanning process, resulting in a rich-appearance and delightful tan. The "scratches" are actually pressure marks, that cause the appearance to lighten up where the pressure was applied, hence the name "pull-up". This results in a delightful variance over time as the piece ages with use. It's probably a result of you not being aware. you bought a pull-up hide for your chairs without realizing it. Give yourself time to get used to it. There is no durability issue. If you get a mark that really bothers you then do this:

1) Ball your. hand into a fist and vigorously rub the area hard and fast with the heel of your fist. The heat from this friction will re-flow the waxes in conjunction with pressure applied and the scratch will pretty much dissapear.

2) Order a "Magic Cloth" from Moore and Giles, its silicone-impregnated and will make them disappear. If you do this, also get a jar of # 33 Cream for mainteance, its superb on pull up hides.

https://www.mooreandgiles.com/shop/cleaning-cloth/
    https://www.mooreandgiles.com/shop/n...e_pa_size=2-oz
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The manufacturer says it is semi-aniline. The scratches are from my dog's nails; I wouldn't describe them as pressure marks. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	15969

Take some of your favorite hand lotion, the one with the least amount of perfumes and massage it into that area. If you don't have any handy, pickup Vaseline Intensive Care - its one of the best for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-04-2024 at 03:39 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.