Thread: Our House Designs (OHD)

Default Our House Designs (OHD)

New here but been following for a while. We were close to ordering a Leathercraft Sofa and just found out that Leathercraft has been acquired by Our House Designs. Anyone have any insight on this company?

Thanks

Default Re: Our House Designs (OHD)

Never heard of OHD, but I sold Leathercraft for a number of years. I still have a pair of # 2670 sofas in my downstairs media room. They make a good product. I did drop the line several years ago because their lack of quality control was killing me! I don't want to order new pieces and then have to work on them for several hours to bring them up to standards prior to delivery to a customer. They would leave nails off a panel, or forget to finish a leg on a sofa, or there would be slight tears in the leather. All things I can fix, but as a dealer I don't want to open a carton and have to deal with that because their final inspector wasn't doing their job. After about the 20th time it happened, I called them up and told them to come get their samples.....of coursed this is anecdotal and occurred some time ago - I look at the line at Market from time to time, nothing made me want to re-activate the dealership.

Things really don't change in the product when a new owner buys a company. no worries there.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks Duane, we just started working with Wellington's and while discussing leather choices they told us about the acquisition. Was told it was because Leathercraft was having issues, delays, high turnover, etc. Now we are considering Hancock & Moore but it's difficult choosing a sofa without being able to sit on one 1st. We live in Fredericksburg and since you are retiring we only have Simms here and are not impressed with them. Any suggestions on how to find a reputable place to purchase? May have to road trip to High point or Hickory but not sure where to shop.
    Last edited by AWCMTM; 02-06-2024 at 05:26 PM.

I still have three H&M sofas on the floor as of today and another misc. 8 to 10 pieces, come on up! if you make the trip I'm not going to turn down your order.....

There is a good H&M dealer in Harrisonburg VA as well, Dayton Interiors. Also, I am told that Greenfront in Farmville just finished a Hancock & Moore Gallery and its supposed to be very nice, I don't know how their sales staff is these days but in the past it wasn't very good. I don't know Simms personally, but have heard the owner has a difficult time getting decent help. There is really not much to go to in North Carolina. You can make the trip to Furnitureland South in High Point NC - that's the world's largest furniture store and they have every maker worth having in gallery displays. Prices tend to be higher there, somewhat.

Leathercraft as a company will never grow very big, it just never had forward-thinking, dynamic leadership. Years ago, all these smaller companies were out there doing the same mediocre things, Leathercraft among them. Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore were at Classic Leather, saw the opportunity and created Hancock and Moore, then left everyone else in the dust by working hard at making the best possible product, strict quality control and hiring professional designers to develop new designs. Today, they are the market leader in High End Leather Upholstery - no one else is even close. Jack and Jimmy retired in 2017 and sold the company to Alex Shuford (Century Furniture's Owner) and it has continued with the ideals and structure that Jack and Jimmy instilled in the company.

I have other brands in the store, but the one I am most confident in shipping far distances is Hancock and Moore. Why? Their Quality Control really are top shelf. I can ship a couple of Chairs to Bozeman Montana for example, and know with a high degree of certainty that they will be correct out-of-the-box, with little need for any correction to the pieces. Others say they work to the same standards but they really don't. Here's just one example to show the H&M difference. Most upholstery makers ship in trays and plastic wrap, H&M boxes everything. It costs more to box, a lot more. Here's a warehouse shot of a recliner from Motioncraft (Sherrill) on the left and one from Hancock and Moore on the right, just as they came off the truck last week. Which do you think travels better in a tractor trailer across the country? It's the little things......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	15979
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-06-2024 at 06:10 PM.
    Duane Collie

We have been to Green Front since they opened the new leather galley and it was very nice. They did have quite a few H&M, BY, Whitmore Sherrill and others. I think we were just a little overwhelmed to decide on anything that day and my better half is pretty particular on design and color. I'm getting old and tend to sit in one place all day so need something that will hold up to that kind of use. Which model numbers do you have? I saw the pictures of the #417-03 Briske and the #MD92 Milan you posted.

Sofas I have a Doyle, a Milan, and a French Curve from H&M, and the Briske from Whittmore-Sherrill. All the others in the store are fabric ones.
    Duane Collie

Thanks