Thread: Capri v. Tiburon

Default Capri v. Tiburon

In 2021, a storm devastated my apartment. Repairs were done. But I’ve been living a practically bare-bulb existence ever since, waiting for insurance to catch up. Well, they finally came through this week, and now I have the blessed project of decorating my place. Yay! Rather than go crazy, however, I decided to start with a single chair—and I haven’t decided between the Elsie chair and the September chair, but right now, those are my first and second-ranked choices. BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION TO YOU.

I’ve been reading for ages about different leathers on this site, and have learned SO much (thank you for your wisdom!). For me, it’s down to two: CAPRI TOBACCO and TIBURON JAVA. I know that Tiburon, as a pull up, will show cracks, pressure-points, etc, and have an “antiqued” look over time, which I love. But what does Capri look like over time? As a naked leather, I would imagine it will show some age? I plan to take excellent care of it, per your training! I’m just a little unclear what “old” Capri looks like.

Default Re: Capri v. Tiburon

I’ve never had a negative comment from customers who selected Capri. Perhaps one of them can respond?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

THank you. Yes, I’m not really worried about a negative experience, because Capri is one of the leathers you really love, and you know your leather. I’m just wondering what sort of qualities older Capri has. If anybody has any pictures to share, I’d be so grateful.

I have an older H&M office chair in Quintessence, which came from the same German tannery as Capri. It’s effectively Capri without a toner shade. I’m hard on my office chairs, and hand / head stained mine. So while it’s not pretty to look at, it’s fine otherwise and I have no intention of replacing it based just on cosmetics. In fact , it’s well broken in and quite comfortable.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have a Noland office chair in Capri Bordeaux and a Author chair and ottoman in Capri Butternut. I take good care of them by conditioning the leather about twice a year and never sit on them with dirty clothes nor do I eat in them but they haven't aged. The office chair is from 2015 so it's nine years old and the Author chair is from 2013 so it's 11 years old. The both look the same as when I purchased them from Duane. I can't tell that they've aged any. They're both still buttery smooth and just as lovely as new. Of course everyone treats things differently and if the leather is subjected to pets or children or greasy foods or excessive sunlight, I'm sure that would take a toll but with care, I haven't found the leather to change in any way with age.

Wowzers. You’re probably like me, then. Easy on your furniture, take good care of stuff. This is valuable info, Ci2eye. Thank you so much!