Thread: What is happening at The Keeping Room Feb 28th 2024

Default What is happening at The Keeping Room Feb 28th 2024

Back from Vacation to a slew of emails and phone voice mails! Whew.....its 9 p.m first day back and I started at 7 am, so a long day but I am mostly caught up.

This Friday, March 1st I am going to the real estate closing and will sign my paperwork to sell my units that The Keeping Room has been located in since 1986. Saturday, March 2nd I am bringing in all the help I can muster and we will be moving EVERYTHING from the ground floor to upstairs. it will be a very disruptive and busy day. On Monday, March 4th the new owner completes closing and gets the keys to the units. He will promptly begin renovating the downstairs (main entrance) with the intent of making it a jewelry store. At that time, to enter The Keeping Room (for those of you who have been here in person) you will have to go to the opposite side of the building and climb a flight of stairs. All furniture will be located upstairs complete with accessories, art, lighting, etc. As part of the sale, we have the upstairs (only) until the end of March.

Due to the tremendous amount of work involved (more than I really want to do!) I am suspending parts and seat core replacement orders for the month of March.

I need to move all remaining floor stock and still have some very nice pieces available. Beginning tomorrow, Feb 29th, I will consider all offers on anything in inventory, and will sell below my dealer cost. It all has to go! Want the best price possible? Bring Cash/Check and your own truck to haul. Credit cards cost 3% to process, so keep that in mind when making an offer.

And yes, there is some pain in seeing my store wind down - I've been here since I was 31 years old.....and now I'm 69. While I never intended to spend my life doing this - it appears I have indeed done just that. It's been a heck of a good run though.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-28-2024 at 10:28 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: What is happening at The Keeping Room Feb 28th 2024

You have had a great run and made many people happy with both your experience ad expertise (myself included).

I'm guessing there is no way to view what you still have and get anything shipped out now. I do recall some pillows that I really liked, but they are probably gone by now.

Thanks for all of your help over the years and I will miss seeing all the new products that you brought into the store.

Thank you!

We are all moved upstairs (its a mess right now), but should have all straightened out in the by Friday to where it looks presentable. Just got my computer and wi-fi working from the move, will start into emails shortly. My daughter Sarah is coming in on Saturday to do a video of remaining stock, which of course I am looking to move out so I can close the doors. Shipping is possible on anything, it comes down to carrier and cost is all. Most the pillows we had remaining we simply gave away rather than move them upstairs. I've been giving away A LOT. We didn't move the Root candles either, gave them all away. Still have a "FREE" table in the store as well, like something on the table, just take it

One never knows what the future holds. I really enjoyed the 11 days I was out of the store on vacation - not having to man the store. But if I get bored, I have already had plenty of job offers from those in the industry doing things like "Brand Ambassabor", etc. We shall see!
    Duane Collie

Only time will tell where you end up. My husband retired, but is now a consultant for two cities doing what he did when he was Planning Director, and making a lot more $$ then he did then, and its not full time, he doesn't need to go into an office. Best of all he works at home!

When you have worked all your life it's hard to go to not having any responsibilities.

Ill have to check out that video, but I kind of doubt that I can do anything long distance, but a girl can dream right?

Good luck with wherever life takes you.

Here’s what I would like to do. Help an ambitious, hard-working younger person open a high-end furniture store in the Metro Washington DC market. I would love to mentor someone because I know this Market and with The Keeping Room closing, the departure of Sheffield’s from the area, and Greenfront retreating to its FarmVille location, this very wealthy metro area is wide open. Maybe more than it’s ever been.

I don’t fail at things. I never have. If I were younger and healthier, I’d open a store 5x the size of mine now and dominate this Market! Father Time has other ideas though, so I can’t do that. But if anyone knows someone who would also have that dream and needs a guiding hand, then I’d be there!
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Here’s what I would like to do. Help an ambitious, hard-working younger person open a high-end furniture store in the Metro Washington DC market. I would love to mentor someone because I know this Market and with The Keeping Room closing, the departure of Sheffield’s from the area, and Greenfront retreating to its FarmVille location, this very wealthy metro area is wide open. Maybe more than it’s ever been.

I don’t fail at things. I never have. If I were younger and healthier, I’d open a store 5x the size of mine now and dominate this Market! Father Time has other ideas though, so I can’t do that. But if anyone knows someone who would also have that dream and needs a guiding hand, then I’d be there!
    I have read your forum for years. Thank you for the incredible wealth of knowledge you have shared!