Thread: A trip to an area furniture store

Default A trip to an area furniture store

Yesterday I went to a large area furniture store near Dulles Airport. I did this visit as a favor for my Hancock & Moore Rep, who has had no luck seeing if they would pick up the account. With my retiring and closing The Keeping Room, it is leaving a massive void in the Washington DC Market for Hancock and Moore. They desperately need another dealer in this large Metro area which has plenty of money to spend. So I went there to speak to the buyer, not as a representative (I have no dog in the fight) but to tell them how they could do really well with this brand if they add it to their store. Plus, I have created a large and loyal following in this area for that company that is so easy for them to pick up on. It was 30 miles from my home, but it was a good excuse to get my convertible out and put the top down. This store is a major player in the area, and has many buildings and I was unsure of which one to go into, so I picked the one that had "Designer Gallery" on the storefront. It was very quiet in there - not really any customers, but three women near the main desk. One woman was fully reclined in a chair reading her iPad and glowering at me with an unfriendly face because I obviously disturbed them and as I attempted to explain who I was and whom I was seeking out it was clear I was not getting through to them - at all. They thought I was a Sales Rep and said "You need an Appointment". No - I'm not a sales rep - who buys your leather upholstery furniture? Finally I was directed across the street to another building, where I repeated my case to the people there and again, they had difficulty trying to figure out who I was and why I was there. I'm articulate - I know I am - it just wasn't a concept they could grasp. Finally one person disappeared into the back to seek out the Buyer and was gone for ten minutes. I looked around and - oh my - such cheap furniture, and not really merchandised very well. Finally that person came out and said "everyone was gone and I could come back another day or make an appointment". They still thought I was a Sales Rep. Ugh. I think they just blew me off, actually. Oh well.

The interesting part is not one person in the store that I spoke with ever heard of Hancock and Moore. The one person that was slightly more attentive than the others had been selling furniture for four years he said, and he was pleasant enough - but you could tell he was just there to get a sale. When I started talking 8-Way Hand Tied Spring Decks and Burnished leathers his eyes just glazed over and I could see I had lost him, no point continuing. I left and send a text to my H&M Sales Rep that it was a waste of time, and I didn't think the brand would do well in this store based on the employees and salespeople I saw there. You can't just put premium furniture on the floor and expect the price tag to sell it, that doesn't work. It takes depth of knowledge and some enthusiasm to sell premium product and I didn't see that there. No one even wanted to hear what I had to say!

I really came away thinking how awful it must be for most people to go furniture shopping as consumers. You are presented with all these choices with a sales staff that is somewhat clueless and "politely unfriendly", so you are kind of on your own. That means you revert to doing the basics, which is picking up price tags and wandering around trying pieces out. Here's a leather recliner for $ 599 (pure junk) and there's one for $ 1,599. What's the difference? Dunno - and the sales staff doesn't know, either. No wonder people don't enjoy furniture shopping.

I come home and tell my wife, and she says "You always forget that other stores are not like yours, and you expect more of them when they can't deliver". She's right. Sunday I was at a customers home as their power headrest stopped working on their new Motion Sofa they bought from me. I had my tools and found it right away, a loose wiring connection that was fixed easily enough. The NCAA Women's Final Basketball Game was on so my customer and I watched the final quarter of it talking about the game and how South Carolina was taking it to Iowa. I will miss those interactions.

And I would have fired that employee on the spot for lounging in the recliner glaring at me when I walked in, disturbing her Tik Toks. That is NOT how you ever greet customers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: A trip to an area furniture store

Customer service and enthusiasm for the product being sold is almost non-existent . I always shop local , if possible, and the demeanor of the sales staff plays a large part in my decision to make a purchase or offer return business. If they don't know the answer to my questions, willingness to find out plays a large part, too. You have been successful for providing top-notch and knowledgeable advice ,
    sadly, most stores no longer do.

I had a phone call from Jack Glasheen yesterday, he started Hancock and Moore in the 1970's with Jimmy Moore and they sold the company in 2016 and retired. Jack had no idea I was closing my store and retiring, he just called to "catch up" and see if I was going to Market next week. He was stunned that I was closing up - it really surprised him. The two of us have mutual admiration for one another, and its a genuine friendship.

We joked that if we were both 35 years old again, with our combined knowledge of this business and what we learned over the many years, how we could just apply that knowledge and make the best company anyone has ever seen in the industry. He said "I know we would!" That's the problem with aging out - all that knowledge, all those skills......they just evaporate.

I told Jack too, they built quite a legacy with their "No compromises on Quality, no Shortcuts taken" philosophy in making Hancock and Moore. Jack laughed and said "I know that all too well, Jimmy Moore wouldn't let us do ANYTHING to make it less than the very best!" Jimmy was quite the character, too....
    Duane Collie

The problem you encountered is the same problem across every industry. Most people are not in the $ to afford H&M and ones who are likely much older and won't be coming back to buy and buy again, unless they are buying for their kids. Kids these days (I guess 30 and younger) who have $ are likely busy and not in the market for these, unless their spouse who is like SaH mom, knows and wants it. No one has time to research products, figure out the differences, and to your example... why would I ask a person in a very large store the differences between the 2 recliners, when I know for a fact that they will push the pricier one and anything they will tell me, I cannot possibly trust them.. Why? Because they are just a salary/commission people..they do not actually give a hoot what you buy, as long as you buy it there.

Now, when I found this forum about 10-11 years ago. I just went through same hassle of figuring out my new mattress, after not being happy with previous matresses. I still use that mattress and it feels like new, 10 years later, and bed + mattress cost me at the time around $2k total. i'd say that 99% of the time, you cannot buy a quality mattress now for this price, unless it's pure latex.

With couch, I first educated myself, on construction and materials. I knew from the start, that I did not want leather and I wanted something that would last me a long time, I am generally bad on furniture and beds and being a larger person, I try accounting for that by buying, hopefully, better quality made products. Once I narrowed down size and style, I came here to ask additional questions. Finally, once I got exactly what I wanted, I could have gotten it for about 10% less from another retailer at the time, but I chose to order it here, because of the help I received.

Anyway, long story short is, that store might be doing 20-100x of your business a year, but they are a business, with owners likely never stepping foot on the sales floor or talking to customers and no one else is properly incentives to do what you do - develop long term partnerships, loyalty, and knowledge base. Why not? because they do not see return on that investment, and they are likely right, as there are probably 100x people out there who is the the market for a sub $1500 couch vs a $4000-$10000+ couch.

What you have is aimless frustration because in your view is that store could be doing SO MUCH MORE for the area and brands that are worth doing business with, but you have to remember, they are a business, and nothing else.
    Last edited by ceasar2k6; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:51 PM.

I don’t know, I think Duane is proof that there is a good market for the high quality items. People on here complain regularly how difficult it is to find and they do some traveling to find it. There are always new people “growing into it”. As they mature, move up in their professions and have higher incomes they start to appreciate and look for the the better stuff more often. And once they get one or two pieces they come back for other pieces for other rooms.

In any occupation or business, you have people that excel at their field and as well as many that are fine with mediocrity. That drive to be the best you can be is from the inner personality. The business (or occupation) is a part of your life, not just an income producer. I personally think it shows whom the owner is - and if the business is lacking its evident in the attitude of the associates.

An example that transcends the furniture business: in 2005, when I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer my in-network surgeon, a Dr Bronsther, assigned to my case sat across from my wife and I and told me I was terminal with 18 to 24 months to live. His parting words were "there is nothing I can do to help you, you should get your affairs in order and consider hospice when it gets bad." Instead of accepting that death sentence and not having any out-out-pocket costs , I did my own research on my kind of Cancer to determine who was the best in the Country for what I had? Hours and hours of research and I wrangled an appointment with Dr Michael Choti at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He saved my life after an intense surgery in early 2006.. The cost of that surgery was $ 770,000 and who has that kind of money? (I was later able to get all but $ 30,000 of it covered after lots of appeals to my health care provider). But, I signed up and 19 years later am still here. You get what you pay for. One doctor was mediocre, the other was fully Involved and cutting edge in the knowledge and technology of the day. I still talk with Dr Choti today....

Point being, everyone has a choice how to run their career. I'm like Doc Choti, I care and i dig into the details on everything in my business. Some people won't pay the price - and that's fine. They can buy mediocre at a dozen stores within 20 miles of mine. My value structure is such that I prefer to not have unhappy customers whenever possible, so I did the work for them and weeded out the companies and suppliers that send me sub-par product, or would not stand behind what they sell. It's not a unique model at all, Rolex watches, or Porsche automobiles are not affordable for most, but for those that can purchase them they are solid and dependable, and at the top of their industry. You have to decide as a consumer it there is value to you, all I can do as a dealer is explain why it costs more, then you decide if it fits into your budget, or not.

I have heard hundreds of stories from people who reget buying Costco or Ashley or La-Z-Boy, or even those horrid Casper mattresses in a box. But in 37 years of business, I can count on two hands the number of clients that have been dissatisfied with the quality of their purchases from my store. For me, it's always been more than just a business, its my reputation in the community.and pride in what you do.
    Last edited by drcollie; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:07 PM.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    In any occupation or business, you have people that excel at their field and as well as many that are fine with mediocrity. That drive to be the best you can be is from the inner personality. The business (or occupation) is a part of your life, not just an income producer. I personally think it shows whom the owner is - and if the business is lacking its evident in the attitude of the associates.

An example that transcends the furniture business: in 2005, when I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer my in-network surgeon, a Dr Bronsther, assigned to my case sat across from my wife and I and told me I was terminal with 18 to 24 months to live. His parting words were "there is nothing I can do to help you, you should get your affairs in order and consider hospice when it gets bad." Instead of accepting that death sentence and not having any out-out-pocket costs , I did my own research on my kind of Cancer to determine who was the best in the Country for what I had? Hours and hours of research and I wrangled an appointment with Dr Michael Choti at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He saved my life after an intense surgery in early 2006.. The cost of that surgery was $ 770,000 and who has that kind of money? (I was later able to get all but $ 30,000 of it covered after lots of appeals to my health care provider). But, I signed up and 19 years later am still here. You get what you pay for. One doctor was mediocre, the other was fully Involved and cutting edge in the knowledge and technology of the day. I still talk with Dr Choti today....

Point being, everyone has a choice how to run their career. I'm like Doc Choti, I care and i dig into the details on everything in my business. Some people won't pay the price - and that's fine. They can buy mediocre at a dozen stores within 20 miles of mine. My value structure is such that I prefer to not have unhappy customers whenever possible, so I did the work for them and weeded out the companies and suppliers that send me sub-par product, or would not stand behind what they sell. It's not a unique model at all, Rolex watches, or Porsche automobiles are not affordable for most, but for those that can purchase them they are solid and dependable, and at the top of their industry. You have to decide as a consumer it there is value to you, all I can do as a dealer is explain why it costs more, then you decide if it fits into your budget, or not.

I have heard hundreds of stories from people who reget buying Costco or Ashley or La-Z-Boy, or even those horrid Casper mattresses in a box. But in 37 years of business, I can count on two hands the number of clients that have been dissatisfied with the quality of their purchases from my store. For me, it's always been more than just a business, its my reputation in the community.and pride in what you do.
    Yes, of course and for you this makes perfect sense and I agree with your points 100%, but my mere speculation is that you are in a large minority, hence why you were able to carve out market for yourself and many of your sales are to return customers, and by word of mouth.

My guess though, that 99.99% of furniture stores out there are not like that. Same for people. In the last 10 years I was likely asked 20-30 times what is my preferred mattress. My answer is always the same, pure latex. How many out of those 20-30 people do you think bought it? Zero. Why? I am sure we can get into that, but it's always a pretty same reply - most people are not in the market for $2k mattress

Since you're retiring, I guess I could ask you make this excursive: on one side, if you wanted to scale your business, could you have opened 2-4 other show rooms/sale rooms in the area (say within 50 miles). Conversely, do you think you'd have same success, if you have 5-10 other H&M (and other manufacturers you carry) dealers in the area? I actually have no idea how many of them are in your area, but I gotta believe, not many... but even if you had more locations or more competitions, would there be enough customers to justify having it?

I am all for quality products, but someone said, it costs money, and most people are not building homes or buying couches to last...

In 1989 I opened a second store in Bethesda MD, some 40 miles from our current Alexandria location. Customers from Maryland were complaining of the drive time (one hour) and we had quite a few from Montgomery County. What I discovered was we simply split our customer base, sales did not increase enough to warrant the cost of operating store # 2 so we closed it once the five year lease had run its course. Then once closed, we simply bought the upstairs unit above our existing Alexandria store, cut a stairway in and doubled the Alexandria store size and that takes us to 2024.

High end product like Hancock and Moore, Sherrill, Taylor King and Century typically sell poorly in most large stores, it always has. This is upper tier priced product and requires a salesperson to explain why it costs more. In multi-line, big square footage stores customers simply walk around and pickup price tags until they find one they like that sits good enough and buy that, because there is no one there to tell them why the better product costs more. However once you get that first piece into a client's home, they find out very quickly how much better it is than their old stuff and when they come back the next time they already know what they want.

The 2007 / 2008 Recession killed off 60 to 70% of all brick and mortar furniture stores nationwide, it was a bloodbath. My store barely survived, in fact by Fall of 2008 I told my wife my business had failed and I no longer had any operating capital in the store checking account, I was down to the last $ 1,200 in the store account. There were no sales - NONE - which is why I started this forum, I. had nothing to do day after day (you will see the forum start date is 2008). I started looking for a job, and just before I was ready to close the doors on The Keeping Room, I had a customer come in and buy a tiger maple Secretary Desk I had on the floor ($ 13,000). That cash infusion gave me two more months of expenses to cover and that was enough to keep the store. However, what almost killed my store took out all the other metro Wash DC furniture stores and they never came back.

Today, in one one the wealthiest cities in America, with a population of appx 6.5 million people, there are no stores carrying Hancock and Moore, Taylor King, Sherrill or Century within 40 miles of downtown, that includes all of the District, Norther Virginia and the MD suburbs. I was the sole outlet unless you went to Briston/Manassas to Greenfront Furniture, which is quite a drive. Now, with my store closing they will be the only outlet. Many of my regular customers (and those companies mentioned) are panicked because of this, there are virtually no quality furniture stores left. The ones that are are 90% imports, and inexpensive furniture from China, Vietnam, and the Philippines, etc. That's where the market is now. Still, there is a ready market base that I have largely built in this region ripe for another enterprising person to step in and take those brands over with a new store, virtually risk-free with success all but guaranteed.

There will always be more Seikos sold than Rolex watches, and always more Kias sold than Porsches. That's a given. however the Market does exist for premium goods. The problem however is that this is a low margin business, that requires trucks and a warehouse to operate in addition to a sales gallery. It's also very physical, you can't hire everything done. Taxes are high, and it requires the Owner to be in the store 5 to 6 days a week for 10 hour days, something most younger people don't want to do. Here I am on a Sunday night at 11:10 pm posting this, most people these days are not that dedicated and shut down on their days off!

But, its been a good business for me. I did OK other than that the Recession period, never went into debt to run the business, and always paid my bills within terms to my suppliers (that's more rare than you might think). I offered the business to my Daughter, but she declined for the reasons above. Oh well !
    Duane Collie

Was there ever the opportunity to bring in a partner? It seems to me that years ago, had a partner been brought in who would've been allowed to buy a small stake in the business and work with you and do a knowledge transfer, there would now be a successor in place. That individual could now take over the day-to-day operations and either buy you out entirely or leave you with only a minority share in the company. The store then could continue on pretty much as you've run it. I know in my business, we always do succession planning and try to foresee what might happen if any key people were to no longer be able to continue in their roles. We have successors in place and in most cases, the knowledge transfer has occurred so that 40 years of knowledge isn't lost if an unplanned separation were to occur for any reason. I suspect that the answer is that you felt the business couldn't have supported two people but it would be nice to have now.

It truly does seem a shame that in a market as large and affluent as Washington DC, there will be no furniture retailers catering to the upper end of the market and no one offering the knowledge to the consumer that you've provided not just in DC but nationwide to so many, like me, who've learned a great deal from you through the years. It won't just be Washington that will be impacted from your store closing but other parts of the country as well. I purchased Hancock and Moore furniture from you because I thought you'd earned the business by teaching me so much but also because there really weren't any dealers in the Atlanta area either. And, for the record, I remember when you started the forum and even the Garden Web postings so I've been around a while and truly have become more savvy because of you. Thank you for that.

You are correct, the store could not support the cost of a partner, or even a full-time employee. For many years I operated as a steep discounter, my margins were too thin. When my daughter came on board, I had to raise prices and margins to cover her salary, and I have no regrets doing so. My expertise is worth something, I didn't have to be the best price in the country on product. People would often ask "How come my local dealer is so much higher in price?" Well, they had higher margins and the owner probably wasn't out there in the parking lot unloading trucks.....

Covid changed things entirely, orders were pouring in and for the first time there was decent money in the bank. Sarah didn't want the business, a few months after she left i had a mini-stroke, and that's all she wrote!
    Duane Collie