Thread: Kittinger Gainsborough Mahogany Secretary Desk

Question Kittinger Gainsborough Mahogany Secretary Desk

I apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong area - I’m brand new to this site…

I’m hoping to get some information on this desk. I obtained it from an ex-boyfriend who owed me some money and gave this to me in exchange. It took me awhile to find out what it is but I learned it is a Kittinger Gainsborough Mahogany Secretary Desk. It appears to be in decent shape with very few flaws other than from standard use. The only flaws I’ve noticed are a very small ding on the underside of the fold out desktop which is shown when the desktop is closed. Also, a small amount of felt is missing from one of the pullout arms that the desktop rests on when open. And, the prongs that the shelves sit on in the cupboard are missing but I do have the shelves. Otherwise, to me it looks to be in good shape. My ex boyfriends grandparents were the original owners.

I’ve seen them pop up on eBay a few times since I’ve owned it and it sold for as little as $1250 and as much as $1850. I also saw one sell from the Goodwill for $850.

I’ve sent pictures to a couple buyers and had no luck - mostly because they didn’t have a market for it or they were too far away for only one item. But one buyer indicated that it appeared to have been refinished. I don’t see any evidence of refinishing but I’m not sure I would know. How could I tell? In the pictures provided, I had just oiled it so I’m not sure if that contributed to his suggestion or not…

I would like to find out as much info as anyone can provide. All info is helpful and greatly appreciated. Also, where would be a good place to sell it..?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	16113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	16114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	16115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	16116

Default Re: Kittinger Gainsborough Mahogany Secretary Desk

Kittinger is specialized furniture, and there are experts in the line that can tell you more than I can. I would send your photo set to them (you will need more detailed photos) and see what they would offer. Refinishing is usually pretty easy to see from in-person inspection and it doesn't really hurt the value if its done tight. I can't tell from those photos. First, find out what you have and the demand tor it. Here is one of those companies you can contact.

https://www.kittinger.com/forsale.html

$ 850 is way too cheap from what I know. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.