Thread: H&M Extra Full vs Extra Firm Cushions

mybs Guest

Default H&M Extra Full vs Extra Firm Cushions

Hi Duane. I was wondering if you could clarify the specific difference between the extra full and extra firm cushion options offered by Hancock and Moore.

At the moment, I've been considering purchasing a sofa with ultra down cushions. If I were to get them with an extra full option, would this mean that they just stuff the cushion with a bit more down?

Thanks,
    Wilson

Default Re: H&M Extra Full vs Extra Firm Cushions

Duane's previous post.

You can have 'extra-firm' or 'extra-full'. There is a difference. Extra-firm means the cushion itself is more rigid and it has a difference core weight. Extra-full means they add a bit of wrapping to the standard cushion to completely fill the cushion space on certain models (such as bustle backs).

I have several pieces on the floor of H&M, but only standard cushions and Ultra down cores. I will not order extra firms for floor stock as there is not much demand for it, perhaps one customer a year requests it.

carmela39 Guest

Thanks Duane,
    Wondering if extra full would have been an option for September seat cushions. Reason I am asking is that the seats seem to wrinkle up much more than I anticipated and take days to reshape themselves. I'm disappointed with them to be honest.

Yes, you can order 'extra full' on any H&M piece, for either the seats or the backs. Also "extra firm" (Plus1, Plus2, Plus3, etc). All at no extra charge.

Be careful on the firmness mod. I would not recommend over a Plus 1, based on reports back from customers who have ordered Plus 2 and Plus 3. If you order them too firm, then you'll have to pay for the replacement inserts.

Extra full means overstuffed. This can be alarming when you first see the piece as it looks like a pumped up beach ball with a high crown to the cushions. In many pieces (especially the # 2038NB Austin High Back Tilt), they settle in nicely after a few months of use.

Carmela, what you are seeing is what H&M calls 'puddling' and is unavoidable in any leather furniture. It all does it to some degree. If you think yours is excessive, then we take a digital photo and post it here or email it to me so I can have a look. We can return the casings to H&M and have them remove some material from the top and resew it if need be. Let me take a look first.....then we can discuss.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mybs View Post
    I've been considering purchasing a sofa with ultra down cushions. If I were to get them with an extra full option, would this mean that they just stuff the cushion with a bit more down?

Thanks,
    Wilson
    "extra full" will just mean the underlying core - under the down wrapping - will be beefed up by 5 to 10% in fullness. The amount of down won't change.
    Duane Collie

mybs Guest

Thanks for the replies, guys!

So for clarification, if I wanted a cushion to have a firmness that is midway between the standard cushion and a ultradown cushion, would ordering the cushion extra-firm (25% increased foam density) be the proper approach? Would this cushion be closer in feel to a standard Qualux cushion or the regular ultradown?

Thanks,
    Wilson

Truthfully I don't think there is one in the middle between the Ultra Down and Standard. I'd save the money and take the standard cores myself. They will 'break in' and soften up a tad in the first 6 weeks of use.
    Duane Collie

Default Re: H&M Cushions - Can I add more filler?

We bought a H&M sofa and loveseat 18 moths ago. Looks great, feels great. However, all of the cushions (seat and back) need more ooompf in them. Can we buy more fill and put it in ourselves or can an upholstery shop do that? We only discovered fill options after the fact. Everything still looks brand new, just not enough fill.

You don't want to do that. Your selling dealer can assist you with getting new cores. Not sure what the technical term for 'ooompf" may be or what the describes, but there are a number of things that can be modified on density and fullness. The cores are engineered, you really cannot add to them with any degree of success.
    Duane Collie