Thread: H & M Rugby recliners

seehere Guest

Default H & M Rugby recliners

Hi there! We've been considering purchasing a pair of H & M recliners for everyday use for my husband and myself. We want chairs that we really want to sit in and that will stay that way for years. Recently I came across someone on my local Craigslist selling a pair of Rugby chairs in fabric that have been barely used (too large for her room) So I'm wondering what anyone's experience is with these chairs and what I'd expect to pay for them brand new. Thanks much!

Default Re: H & M Rugby recliners

A # 7106 Rugby Lounger (recliner) will start at $ 1,939 plus shipping from my store, and that's in Grade 1 fabric. Prices go up with grade increases.

That's a good chair, I have one coming in my store for floor stock that should be here shortly. The chair itself is well-made and will last for years, but in my experience more fabric coverings have a lifespan of 5 to 7 years on a daily-used recliner then it will need to be recovered (hence the popularity of leather which lasts 4x longer). Check the following areas for wear:

* Tops of the arms

* Headrest area for darkening from hair oils

* Front leading edge of the seat cushion by the welt trim

* Inside arm panels where they contact the seat cushion for pilling, etc as its a friction area.

* Footrest

Recovering that recliner will require appx 14 yards of 2" to 14" repeat fabric @ $ 50 per yard average = $ 700 and a typical labor charge will be $ 350 to $ 400 across the country. So as you can see it can be pricey to have to recover - check weave texture and tightness of the fabric, and material content if you can. All factor into the fabric lifespan.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

seehere Guest

Thank you! We just went to a local retailer today to "test" out some styles, they didn't have the Rugby (of course!) How does the Rugby compare in size to the Austin? I didn't care for the Austin recliner but I did like the Austin tilt back. I'd just really prefer to not have an ottoman always taking up space.

The Rugby and Austin are totally different in look and feel. The Rugby is compact as a recliner.

For comfort, NOTHING in the entire line beats the Austin Tilt Back series w/ottoman. Its the finest chair I've ever sat in from any maker in 25 years of this business. If you sat in that one, you're ruined. <g>
    Duane Collie

seehere Guest

Oh boy, how did I have that feeling that you'd say that? OK - so now we're on to pricing them out. Since you've been so helpful (I've been reading you for months now) I'll start with you. Do you stock these? (We're looking for two chairs and for the moment we'll assume my husband will want the same chair as me) If not - about how long should we expect to wait for an order?

I don't stock multiples of anything, my store is too small for that. But I have one in stock to try out (Austin High Back Tilt). Time frame depends on the cover, if its in-stock then a 6 week build time is average. Price depends on the cover as well. If going for best bang for the buck, download the spreadsheet here on the Town and Country collection and you will see them listed.

Most men will want the high back model # 2038NB (over 5' 9"), and if you are 5' 8" or under then consider the standard model for yourself. When the ladies sit in the high back model it can catch them wrong and your shoulders wind up in the crack in between the two bustles, which pushed your head forward and makes it not so comfortable. So you have to pick the size based on height.
    Duane Collie