Thread: Henredon Letter Chair

Galina Guest

Default Henredon Leather Chair

Hello,
    We are in the process of refurnishing our living room. At an outlet store in NC we purchased a Henredon sofa, chais and a leather chair, with the idea that we’ll add two matching upholstered swivel chairs and an ottoman(to be used as a coffee table) to complete the seating arrangement. Unfortunately, once the furniture arrived, and after many sessions of brainstorming, we concluded that for symmetry’s sake and visual sanity, we should have only one upholstered swivel/glider chair and a second leather chair that matches the one we already have. That I realize, is easier said than done. How do I go about finding a match to the chair we purchased at an outlet store? We don’t mind ordering it, if we can be certain that color would be the same. (The one we have was a steal considering the quality, but the MSRP is so high, that we would not be able to justify it if the second chair, provided it can be ordered in the first place, is not an acceptable match.) I already searched on the web using the manufacturer’ name and item number, but found nothing. This is probably an older model that Henredon does not make anymore. I would appreciate any suggestions. I guess we always pay at the end.
    Last edited by Galina; 01-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.

southbayed Guest

Default Re: Henredon Letter Chair

Galina,

Your right, your search may not be an easy one if the chair is no longer available. Have you had someone check to make sure that the model that your looking for has not been discontinued? Your best case scenario is that Henredon does still make the chair and that you'll be able to find a retailer with a strong discount. Once you've placed an order for your chair be sure to ask for a "CFA" (cutting for approval). The factory will send out a sample of the leather from the same lot that they plan to use for the chair. This will ensure that you get the correct color. Doing a CFA may affect your lead time (especially if you reject the CFA) but then you will not be disappointed when you receive delivery.

BTW...what is the model # of the chair...maybe someone on here can check for you.

Galina Guest

Thank you for the quick reply. I didn’t realize there are other late owls here.

The number that I have on the paperwork is LN 0460-09028895-014. There is also a number written across the ticket – 41109. The chair is leather - burgundy brown. We purchased it along with the other pieces at the Henredon Factory Outlet in High Point, and the store was going out of business. The more I read about furniture the more I realize that I know next to nothing about it. The only consolation I have is, that that is the case with anything you set out to learn about. I hope we didn’t make a mistake. We do love all the pieces, and they all have Henredon label under the cushions. We just need to finish the room.

southbayed Guest

Well I suspect that this might be the Casey Chair model # L0460. This is still a current chair in the henredon line. The numbers you have that proceed 460- is probably the leather number (although I don't completely recognize it). I would head down to your nearest Henredon dealer with the seat cushion of the chair and find your leather. Don't forget the CFA. Oh by the way, the factory is out of stock on the chair frames and don't expect to have more until the end of the month(ish).

Good Luck!

Galina Guest

Default Re: Henredon Leather Chair

Thank you for your help. Today I called the closest dealer of Henredon with the chair name and other info from the sticker under the cushion. The sales clerk was very nice, took the info and promised to call back after speaking with their factory rep. In a less than an hour she called back; she was having difficulty finding the leather & nails color and finish. The sales rep wasn’t available, and she said she would call us on Friday after talking to him . . . So far so good. Hope they still have leather in this color, and the price is not going to be out of our range. Will keep you posted. Thank you again for your help.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a maker of fine dining tables? We are looking for a solid wood 54-inch round table with two 20-inch extension leaves and gate-type legs. Nothing fancy, just tapered or turned legs, but preferably with a light look to them and the table as whole.

Galina

Galina Guest

Hello,
    Just to give an update. The sales person called back with a price - $2,900 with a grade 2 leather. This seems high considering what we paid before. Any idea, if this is a good price, or should I get other quotes?
    Galina

Just a word of warning about Henredon. About a year ago the company closed down its landmark High Point, NC upholstered furniture factory and moved production to Morganton, NC. The High Point factory had many long-term experienced, highly skilled (and highly-paid) upholsterers. The tailoring of the product I have seen coming out of Morganton is not close to the same quality.

southbayed Guest

Well first of all I'm pretty sure that the retail on the chair is in the starting grade of leather is $3990...sounds like an okay deal. Secondly, Jeff is absolutely correct. The tailoring that comes out of the Henredon upholstery plant in Morganton is not as clean as what it once was. It sounds like its your call at this point but it would seriously consider other options.

Martha2 Guest

Simplyjeff and southbayed- I was seriously considering a Henredon upholstery purchase, so I find your information about the decline in quality a big concern. Just out of curiosity, do you know where these experienced, highly skilled upholsterers ended up, and what other brands would you recommend that still have excellent attention to detail on upholstery work that would be in the same price range? You both sound like you are "insiders!" Galina-My dining table is a Henkel Harris, has been disassembled and put back together 5 times by not so careful movers due to corporate relocations, and is still solid as a rock (despite the deep scratch they put on it once). Excellent quality and finish, if they have a look that you like (they are generally a bit formal).

Martha2 -- Sadly, many of the highly skilled upholsterers from Henredon and other high end North Carolina firms are still unemployed or working at jobs that are much lower paying. Because there has been so much specialization in the industry over the last 10 years these workers are very good at specific jobs, but very few have all the skills necessary to set up their own shops. Those skills include frame building, fabric cutting, springing up, sewing, upholstering, not to mention working with leather which takes entirely different skills and tools.

If you really would like to speak with an independent upholsterer in the High Point area with all the skills listed above, I have known one for 20 years. He has 35 years experience including building dozens of prototypes for high -end companies, including Henredon. He can work from a picture or drawing of what you want. His quality level is H&M or better.

Let me know if you would like his name and phone number. (He doesn't have a computer.)