Thread: Help on Hancock & Moore Bench Seat

philcjenkins Guest

Default Help on Hancock & Moore Bench Seat

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this forum and really appreciate all the great information.

I have been looking at Hancock and Moore's website and would like to know if anyone has any knowledge regarding either the 5241 Evans sofa or 5239 Phillips Cafe sofa.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1903
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1906

I like the look of a bench seat, but am concerned how the single cushion will wear in leather. It appears that the one-piece cushion on the 5241 Evans has two seams which simulate the look of three cushions. The 5239 Phillips cushion appears to have no seams. Would a one-piece cushion without seams wear better than a one-piece cushion with seams?

In general is leather a good idea for a single bench seat cushion?

I noticed on one of the threads in this forum a Hancock and Moore sofa #2864 that had fabric on one side of the cushion and leather on the other. I thought that was brilliant and would enable a leather single bench seat to be flipped. Does anyone know how much of an upcharge adding fabric would be?

Looking forward to any and all advice and comments.

Thanks,
    Phil

southbayed Guest

Default Re: **** Newbie - Help on Hancock & Moore Bench Seat ****

Phil,

Let me see if I can help clarify some things for you. A bench seat on a sofa in leather will always (I think) come with seams. Keep in mind, hides only come so large and because of that the seat needs to be seamed.

Secondly, in most cases (and I believe in Hancock & Moore as well) whenever doing combining fabrics/materials on a sofa (with the exception of throw pillows) you will pay the price of the higher grade of the two materials. In most cases but not all this means the price of the sofa as if it were being covered completely in leather.

If I'm incorrect in any of the information above please let me know. I can't always be right, can I?

Default Re: Help on Hancock & Moore Bench Seat

H&M uses only Grade A Steerhide in its furniture, which stretches the least of any leather available. Nevertheless Some 'puddling' of of leather will occur on hides covering a large surface area. These stretch wrinkles are un-avoidable though if they become excessive a fuller cushion core can be put in the casing or the outer case returned to H&M to have some excess material removed, then re-sewn. That would be the only issue here, leather stretch.

On the # 1903 piece, that's actually a design motif where the seat cushion is sewn like that. If you preferred it as a 3-cushion sofa, it can be made up for you like that. Take a look at the Parisian sofas, # 1278 and # 1279. Only difference in the two are the seat cushion treatment. You'll see the one sewn like the 1903 piece is more sleek and stylish.

Yes, that customer I did the reversible cushions for originally only wanted them in fabric, and I thought she would regret that later on, so I encouraged her to do one side and the front box edge in leather, and put her fabric on one panel only. That way she could flip the cushions and have all-leather, or reverse them and have the fabric look she likes. The sofa prices out at all leather, and it wasn't much of an up-charge to do that fabric decking on the opposite side, but I can't remember the exact dollar amount.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

philcjenkins Guest

Thank you Southbayed and Duane for your prompt responses, great information!

Duane,

The stretching of the leather was my main concern. I guess my real question is would the seams on a leather bench seat (i.e. Evans or Parisian) help to mitigate the stretching and ultimate 'puddling'?

Thanks again,
    Phil

Hi Phil,

They won't. To minimize any stretching, you would want a three-seat sofa deck. Less surface area per cushion = less stretching. Most anything you see as one long cushion can be made as a smaller cushion unit. (upcharge may apply)
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

philcjenkins Guest

Duane (aka Fearless Leader),

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond, your expertise is invaluable!

Take care,
    Phil