Thread: Cleaning Bedroom Dresser and Chest

Default Cleaning Bedroom Dresser and Chest

I finally got a bedroom set and have a question about what do you use to clean your bedroom furniture?

The set we got was the Durham Saville Row Parklane - triple dresser, panel headboard, two bedside chests and a junior chest. I want to add the pictures at Durhams' website does not do the finish justice, it's a much more vibrant deeper tone in person than it is in the pictures.

I have OZ polish for the outside unless you suggest something else?
    Now being brand new what should I use to get any factory dust out of the inside of the drawers? I was thinking a cloth slightly damp and just wipe gently but looking for suggestions.

Default Re: Cleaning bedroomdresser and chest

OZ will do the job! Inside, just a damp cloth (water) because you don't want polish on your clothes.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    OZ will do the job! Inside, just a damp cloth (water) because you don't want polish on your clothes.
    Well I went and did it backwards.... Just kidding the outsides were cleaned up already pretty nicely when delivered and the insides just used a damp cloth (water) and a drying cloth to wipe up the excess.

So far we are very happy with our choice of Durham bedroom furniture.

Sarah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    Well I went and did it backwards.... Just kidding the outsides were cleaned up already pretty nicely when delivered and the insides just used a damp cloth (water) and a drying cloth to wipe up the excess.

So far we are very happy with our choice of Durham bedroom furniture.
    I'd love to see some pics of your new bedroom furniture if you have the time. I've heard good things about Durham!

mybs Guest

Default Re: Cleaning Bedroom Dresser and Chest

We have an older dresser that we received from friends that's made from solid wood, but recently it's been having issues that result in wood dust/particles coming off the drawers. Is there any particular way I should treat the wood to resolve this problem?

That's interesting. Wood doesn't shed. I suspect you have wood-boring beetles in the furniture. That's where I would be looking first. Look for small boring holes in the area where you are seeing dust/particles of wood. If you see small holes - there's a beetle in there. And you have to take care of that as they will migrate to other furniture in your home. You will want to move this dresser out of your home and into the garage or basement - or get rid of it entirely if it has beetles in it.
    Duane Collie

mybs Guest

So I've looked closer into this matter, and it looks like the "dust" is the result of the wood drawers scraping against the wood rails on which they sit. As a result of this scraping, the dust tends to settle on the corners of the drawer nearest the contact. Is there a way I would be able to paint the internal wood railing or the edges of the drawers to prevent further deterioration or is it destine for a landfill?

I've still never seen wood on wood to that in a chest of drawers, but if you think that is what's happening , then get an old candle and rub candle wax to the bottom of the drawers. That will seal the wood and also make the drawers glide smooth.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by mybs View Post
    So I've looked closer into this matter, and it looks like the "dust" is the result of the wood drawers scraping against the wood rails on which they sit. As a result of this scraping, the dust tends to settle on the corners of the drawer nearest the contact. Is there a way I would be able to paint the internal wood railing or the edges of the drawers to prevent further deterioration or is it destine for a landfill?
    I hope you can sort this out. One thing I did after receiving my furniture was take the drawers out, vacuum the inside and outside of the unfinished drawer and also ran it (with a soft brush head) on the inside of the unit. I then wiped down the drawers with a damp cloth and wiped dry. The furniture I bought has dust proofing which is just a thin piece of wood between the drawer levels to keep dust from falling through, I gather from you are saying your furniture doesn't have this?

To see if it's the opening/closing of the drawers or something else why not designate one of the drawers you have noticed the dust in as test control where you don't use it for awhile and check the drawer beneath it every so often for dust. If you still see dust it's something other than the opening/closing.