Thread: Samples of flaws

Default Samples of flaws

These are two healed scar ares on an H&M Sofa in Tiburon Garnet, a price class 2 unprotected leather. This is a leather that is left in a more 'natural' state than others, and I thought it good to show some examples of that this can look like. First photo is on the top of the arm, the second larger spot on the back of the sofa on the vertical panel. I used a Quarter not only to show size, but to give the camera something to focus on so the picture stays sharp and clear. These are considered acceptable in this type of leather by H&M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scar1.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scar2.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paley1.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaleySCAR.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	793  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dwainw Guest

Default Re: Samples of flaws

Scars aside, what is your opinion on Tiburon? Do the scars just add character or is there a trade off in getting a 'nicer' leather for a lower cost?

I have the H&M Georgetown Tufted Chair in Tiburon Butternut and LOVE the Tiburon. I have three Class III and one other Class II leather on other H&M pieces and the Tiburon is easily my favorite. The hand isn't as soft as the higher end leathers - or even some of the Class IIs like Upton - but it is quite decent and the look is great.

It isn't for everyone, though. It definitely is for those who prefer a more natural or weathered look. For example, I think it would be an excellent choice for those considering a burnished or hand antiqued leather. It gives you that look, but at a Class II rather than III, IV, or V price.

I can't speak to value - Duane would be the person to address that. But from speaking with him about this previously, it sounds like the price of leather is often dictated as much by origin of the leather (e.g. South America v. Europe) as quality.

Finally, my Tiburon piece doesn't have imperfections as extreme as those pictured - just fully healed range scars - so every piece won't have those issues.
    Last edited by choubeck; 01-21-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Tiburnon is a class 2 hide, so i expect this in a non-protected hide in this price range. Its part of the overall 'look'. Now if these scars showed up on a class 4 Capri or Montana hide that's going for butter soft luxury, I'd be on the phone to H&M in a blink and returning the pieces.

I wanted to post this because I know something like this can be alarming to someone who doesn't know what to expect. That's why its important to buy from a store where the dealer knows the product line and you can talk about things such as this. A well-educated dealer can then listen to what you want, and steer you to the right hide for the look and feel that you like.

I happen to like things like this, as well as burls and crotches in wood. But its not for everyone. What I don't care for is a uniform 'processed' look in leather, or even-grained wood in a case piece. That's totally boring to me!

I'll continue to post photos like this to build up the library on the forum so everyone can get a sense of what to expect from a give hide.
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Would the class III Garfield leather be likely to have this type of scarring?

It can have some, but generally not to this degree. Garfield is a leather where they do not try to correct all the flaws, but it starts life as a higher grade 'crust' in the initial select process than Tiburnon.
    Duane Collie

mybs Guest

How much scarring would a finished Class 3 leather (Antelope) show in comparison?

Antelope has virtually none. Remember its a protected leather, so its been finished, but to a high degree.
    Duane Collie