Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple Recliner Sofa?

D53 Guest

Default Triple Recliner Sofa?

I'm looking for a triple recliner sofa. So far, I've seen double recliner sofas, such as those from H&M, as well as triple incline sofas from MotionCraft, but not a triple recliner. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

Default Re: Triple Recliner Sofa?

You won't probably find it, Steve. Its the mechanics of it as each standard recliner mechanism requires a structural area to bolt to on each side of it, to allow the mechanism to operate. So you have to have a rigid frame on both the left and right side of each reclining seat area and that means a stationary section in the frame must separate each motion section.

Theater seating is where you will have to go, as they are essentially sand-alone units that don't require the bolt-to structure. You can take something like H&M's Monterey series and line up three pieces, then cap each end with an arm section, and in theory line up as many as needed in a row:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1697
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

D53 Guest

Thanks, Duane. Looks like it will either be a triple incliner or a double recliner. My wife won't approve your suggestion as it doesn't look like a sofa. This piece will be for our living room and we do not want to make our living room look like a home theater. Also, we prefer a sofa so we can sleep on it, as I sometimes have to do when the wifey is mad at me!

What you REALLY want then is to buy a standard sofa with no recliner mechanism and then a larger cocktail ottoman to push up to the sofa. Why you ask?

* You get a true 8-way hand-tied spring deck. Much more comfortable, especially for napping. Anything that is a motion piece won't have 8-way hand-tied.

* Lighter weight (sofa) and less troublesome. If you have kids, be aware that any motion sofas/loveseats are the perfect vehicle for little ones to get their hands caught in - and they do. Happens all the time.

* The ottoman will give you the same effect as a recliner when in use. Doubles as a coffee table or extra seating when needed.

*Accelerated wear and cushion crush at the recliner stations.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a huge fan of sofas with built-in recliners. I own one right now (Bradington Young) and would not buy one again.
    Duane Collie

D53 Guest

Thanks for your advice, Duane. I'll be sure to pass it on to my wife. The reason we want a recliner is to watch our new, 52" hdtv which is mounted above the fireplace. Unfortunately, the tv is mounted way too high for comfortable viewing from a normal sofa. Therefore, we thought a reclining sofa would help to compensate for the height of the tv. The tv will not be lowered. Therefore, we have to come up with something, in a sofa, that will recline. I've seen some double-recliner sofas where there is no middle section. I think Leathercraft makes a short double-reclining sofa. I may need a full-size version of it, or something like it. According the Leathercraft website, they can custom-make a piece........ Any other suggestions?

artielange Guest

When we were building our home we considered placing the big screen tv above the fireplace. Then we rented a ski condo that was set up this way and we quickly learned that the tv was way too high for comfortable viewing. I'm glad I learned this before I was committed to it. Too bad as those systems where the tv is covered with a picture when not in use are really nice.

D53 Guest

It looks to me like the Austen is a possibility, however, I don't see a matching recliner chair. The matching chair on their ewbsite looks like it needs an ottoman, which we don't want. Is that correct? I see that Bradington-Young sells a matching chair and sofa recliners.... that may be where we're heading.

Duane, can you think of a nice H&M recliner chair to match the H&M Austen reclining sofa?

You don't want to even think about custom-making a reclining sofa through LeatherCraft, it would do some serious damage to your Visa card I'm afraid!

The magic chair you want is the Austin High Back Tilt 2038NB with Ottoman 8131NB. The most comfortable chair in the H&M lineup, bar none - and with the tilt back feature you can stop it at several points, unlike a recliner. Perfect for too-high TV viewing as you have more variance in the positions. But I know you don't want an ottoman.....so I guess that's out.

Just exploring some ideas here....my choice for the loveseat with recliners would be the H&M Monterey Series configured as a loveseat as Dwain (forum member) did on his that he ordered from me:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...light=monterey

The trick here is to get the power option, because when its motorized, you can stop it anyplace in the recline cycle to get that perfect position, on a manual one you're limited to the detents and may be too shallow or too far back for a good angle. I'd go power no matter which brand you look at for that reason. Hopefully you have a 110 outlet accessible?

Matching recliner is here:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1240

The BY model 900 with L&R Recliners is available in both a manual and power unit as well. Might be just the ticket:

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0000&style=900

as is the 965 unit (power and manual):

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0000&style=965
    Duane Collie

D53 Guest

Thanks Duane. The Monterey is a nice-looking loveseat, but we are looking for a full-size sofa. I've been looking around and found the following Leathercraft piece, which looks like what we're looking for http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...reclining_sofa

It looks like a full-sized 2-section reclining sofa. However, I note that the description states that the back is only 37 inches high, which strikes me as too low. Also, I see its only 80" long, which may be a bit too short. Any experience with this piece? I suppose it will be too much money to get a custom-made version of this piece.....

When we looked at furniture last week in our local stores, we thought that a recliner which, while not a perfect match for a sofa, which had the same leather and a similar style to the sofa would be acceptable. What H&M recliner would work with the Austen recliner sofa, if both had the same leather? We were also thinking of a fabric loveseat which incorporated a design element ofthe sofa, such as the arm style, would work as long as the fabric complimented the sofa leather.
    Last edited by D53; 01-22-2010 at 10:33 AM.

D53 Guest

The more I look at this stuff, the more I am leaning towards that Brdington-Young Christopher reclilning sofa. This BY reclining chair seems to be a reasonable match http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...000&style=3005. What do you think? I'm not sure that I care for the style/looks of the H&M sofa recliners. Guess I'd have to see them in person.