Thread: Late Night Fun

Default Late Night Fun

I left my iPhone in my blue jeans pocket yesterday - and my wife ran the pants through the wash GAaaaahhhh!!!! That was the end of my favorite electronic toy, it drowned. My fault, I NEVER leave my phone in my pocket, but this one time. So it was off the AT&T to get a new 3GS model (I qualified for early upgrade, so it was only $ 200, but I really wanted to wait until June to see what new features Apple rolls out then on its annual update) Oh well, Life happens.

Last night I'm very busy updating the new phone in my home office, everyone else has gone to bed. Its late, and I see a car coming down my driveway. I have a very long driveway in an somewhat isolated area, with signs advising "Private Property" and "No Outlet, No Turnaround". Odd, I don't expect anyone, especially this time of night. I get up from my computer and go out the side door to my garage to see what's going on and there's an elderly couple with a Dodge Caravan Minivan AND a 14' tandem axle U-Haul trailer jack-knifed in my driveway. Great. I marvel at how the driver managed to lock up this rig in my driveway (smart money is you back straight out, never try to turn around in a small area), and the old couple is lost. They're actually trying to get to one of my neighbor's homes 1/4 mile away. This old boy has no business driving a combo like this, the Dodge is nearly bottomed out in the back from the weight of the U-Haul and all the crap they had loaded in the back of the van. He wasn't even close to being about to turn it around, why did he bind it all up like this? He's definitely not used to driving with trailers.......

Its dark out, and raining, and I have a car in the driveway already. There is no way this elderly man is going to get this thing turned around without either hitting my house or the car in the driveway. He can't see well and doesn't know the driveway corners like I do, so I tell him that if he wants it out of there, I have to drive. He agrees.

The U-Haul brakes are not happy with backing up in a jackknife position and howl with protest. This of course, wakes up everyone in my house and they all come down to see what's going on. I've driven a lot of trailer rigs over the years, and am very good at backing them....but this one is really taxing my skills. I can't pull into the grass as its rain-saturated and the front wheel drive Dodge gives up the traction instantly if I do. I consider taking the trailer off the hitch and manually horsing it around, but that's a real pain and I'm not dressed for doing that in the rain. I do what seem like a hundred back n' forth's on the rig and FINALLY get it turned and pointing 180 digress out so they can leave. He thanks me profusely, and my parting words to him:

"Don't pull that rig into Randy's driveway, its only half as wide as mine near the pad by the garage. If you do, you will never get it turned around like we just did. Park by the mailbox and walk up, you'll block in all his cars if you go in the driveway, understand?"

He nods his head yes.

This morning on the way to work I drive by Randy's house and there's the rig, smack in the middle of his serpentine driveway up near the garage, blocking in all the cars in his garage. .....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

artielange Guest

Default Re: Late Night Fun

You are such a good writer. Vivid descriptions!

Anyway, my daughter's new Ipod Touch got washed the first week she had it while visiting her cousin. We didn't turn it on and kept it near the warm exhaust of my laptop for a week. Initially the screen was filled with water but it dried out and now works fine. I'm sure that eventually it will corrode but for now it still does what it's supposed to do which makes my 12 year old very happy.

Hey Judy, can you tell I'm a frustrated author at heart? <G> One Day I'm going to write my book on cancer.....

Washing Machines and Toilets are the Arch Enemies of all things electronic, with The Beach being in the running, too !
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

rlm Guest

Duane, you can add to that list anything involving paint. I was going to paint the office on Christmas day to get the room ready for the Grant lounger I previously inquired about on this forum and ended up with two ankle fractures (on the same ankle) and a full tray of paint upside down on the carpet. I got the carpet healed up much quicker than my ankle.