Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock and Moore vs Bradington and Young

todd_kachadoorian Guest

Default Hancock and Moore vs Bradington and Young

Hi Duane,

Can you give us a bit more detail on the differences between these 2 manufacturers. What separates the 2 of them? Do they have the same build quality and can one expect the same level of quality in say a grade 3 hide across each company? H&M is a bit more expensive it seems . . .at least what I have been seeing while shopping for my new leather sofa. Todd.

Hi Todd,

As a retailer for both brands here's how I compare and contrast them. This is subjective of course, and differences are subtle. I have both H*M & B-Y in my own home that I use on a daily basis.

H&M is on average about 15 % more expensive than B-Y and has about that same amount higher workmanship. The devil is in the details, and H&M has very fine workmanship levels that can be noted on application of welt trim, trim nail accuracy, and their button-tufting is the best in the industry.

H&M has a much wider leather selection, and wood finish options.

H&M will customize, B-Y will not.

H&M will take a piece back in, regardless of age, and repair it for the customer. No other company I know of will do that.

H&M is more detailed as whole. For example, the bun foot legs on a B-Y sofa are 'spin-on' with a single threaded screw in the center of the wood. H&M used real wood screws (3 per foot) and screws them to the frame. The latter is stronger, by far.

Delivery times are about equal.

Warranties are about equal.

Longevity of pieces are equal.

Spring, frame and cushion construction are similar enough to not prefer one over the other.

Married cover programs are superior on H&M than B-Y with regards to hide selection, and sewing details.

-Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

todd_kachadoorian Guest

Thanks Duane, got a quote back from Charlton Furniture on a B&Y Sheffield sofa and loveseat. Has the nice wood detail that I found was lacking in the H&M models that we saw.. .at least ones that would fit in the small room that I have. They came up, did measurements of the room and said the pieces should fit if we scale back on the end tables. I have a natuzzi cortina set in there now. Seat cushions are attached and no one will come out to fix. Looking at manufacturer ratings and where Natuzzi is, I see why. Cushions are attached as well so I cannot send then out to get fixed. This set has removable backs and cushions so worst case I think I could send them back to B&Y if ever needed to be fixed.

Here's the deal:
    Grade 3 leather. 2699 for the sofa, 2599 for the loveseat.
    No payments No interest for 12 months from Wells Fargo
    Free delivery and removal of the old sofa (we are keeping the loveseat as it's still good)

If I do this next weekend, they will also do this without sales tax as it is tax free weekend here in Mass. Go for it or can I do better on the price?

McCall Guest

Hi there, if you are looking at the Sheffield B&Y I suggest you try currier leather in NH. It is worth the trip. If you don't want to go there try getting a price from LaCHance furniture in Gardner MA also worth the trip.
    I was thinking of Sheffield for my recliner but went with Monaco instead through LaChance.

Anyway for a MA customer both these options are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by todd_kachadoorian View Post
    Thanks Duane, got a quote back from Charlton Furniture on a B&Y Sheffield sofa and loveseat. Has the nice wood detail that I found was lacking in the H&M models that we saw.. .at least ones that would fit in the small room that I have. They came up, did measurements of the room and said the pieces should fit if we scale back on the end tables. I have a natuzzi cortina set in there now. Seat cushions are attached and no one will come out to fix. Looking at manufacturer ratings and where Natuzzi is, I see why. Cushions are attached as well so I cannot send then out to get fixed. This set has removable backs and cushions so worst case I think I could send them back to B&Y if ever needed to be fixed.

Here's the deal:
    Grade 3 leather. 2699 for the sofa, 2599 for the loveseat.
    No payments No interest for 12 months from Wells Fargo
    Free delivery and removal of the old sofa (we are keeping the loveseat as it's still good)

If I do this next weekend, they will also do this without sales tax as it is tax free weekend here in Mass. Go for it or can I do better on the price?
    That's a hard package to beat. Its going to be near impossible to find anyone long distance that will remove your old sofa, the delivery services (none of them) just don't offer that service as they have no way to dispose of the old sofa and have to carry it around on their truck as they make their deliveries. As you can imagine, that would impede their work as they make their way up and down the coast.

Thats interesting on the tax free weekend in MASS! Here in VA we just had that but it was limited to clothing purchases no more than $ 100.00. They do big ticket items on that program in MA?

Duane
    Duane Collie

McCall Guest

Yes the no tax day is on pretty much everything in MA. and we have no sales tax on clothing, food or medicine to begin with also the rate of 5% has not changed since it first went into effect somewhere around 40 something years ago.

todd_kachadoorian Guest

Thanks McCall, after talking it over with the wife, I think we are going to wait until after the new year for the purchase. . . maybe we can score a better deal than what we have now. Time will tell.

McCall Guest

Quote Originally Posted by todd_kachadoorian View Post
    Thanks McCall, after talking it over with the wife, I think we are going to wait until after the new year for the purchase. . . maybe we can score a better deal than what we have now. Time will tell.
    Well since you are in MA if you want to pick it up yourself you can save by going to Currier Leather inHampton Falls, NH they are on Rt. 1 you can also check out their website for info on the company itself but they have a good reputation and sell for 45% to 60% off retail price all the time. You can get it delivered of course but you pay for delivery and you would then have to pay the tax as well, whereas if you pick it up you don't.

If you were closer to Duane I would say buy from him but you would have shipping that way of course as well.

I had a B-Y sectional sofa land in my store this week, thought I'd try one for floor stock. I have to say I'm very disappointed in not only the 'married cover' leather of the sectional, but the tailoring, foaming and the sewing of the piece were sloppy. This is not to say its not solid and will last - because it will....its more a comment on the 'art of upholstery'. Any maker can take a wood frame and stick high quality components on it, and proclaim it a finished product - and thats what B-Y has done. However the devil is in the details, and they just don't execute them well.

I sell far more Hancock and Moore than Bradington-Young, and though B-Y is about 20% less in price on average. While I realize that the higher cost of the H&M might be a deal breaker for some (and B-Y is still far superior to the stuff coming out of China), if you can afford the $ 4,500 B-Y sectional, ask yourself if you can make the stretch and for the H&M product at $ 5,700 or so? If you can swing it, I think it would be money well spent especially as you can expect 20 years of life from either brand.

Pretty much the old adage is true...."you get what you pay for".

Next time some salesperson tells you that B-Y is 'just as good' as Hancock and Moore you can spit in their eye and tell 'em Duane sez for them to go pound sand with that sales pitch, because it most definitely is not.
    Duane Collie

maryh Guest

Duane, I read everything you said in the garden web and now found you at My Furniture Forum. What a find. I'm trying to choose between a leather set from Ralph Lauren- Haydn or Venetian with 2 Noble Estate chairs and the Chancellor tufted sofa with 2 Wallaces from Hancock and Moore. I know they are two different styles. Have you had any of those pieces on the floor? What kind of custom work does Hancock and Moore do? I was told they do not. If they had a style like the Venetian or Haydn or noble estate- I'd go with them- but they don't. I'm also looking for leathers with a warm/blunt feel, not the cold slippery feel. I know furniture companies from England - hand made and hand dyed after piece is upholstered- are starting to come to US, such as Chesterfields-usa. They look so tempting, as dealing with the company Chesterfields1780, straight from England. But I guess there's an enormous risk. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mary
    PS I hear Henredon and Ralph Lauren are splitting. Maybe Hancock and Moore will start making their pieces!