Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror or not ??

Default Mirror or not ??

Looking for some opinions on my mirror. Just placed it there Before I make a hole and mount it. Want to see what some thoughts are on it above the fire place. YAY or NAY??

Default Re: Mirror or not ??

I say Nay. Convex mirrors are OK over fireplaces, but standard glass ones are typically too high up in most cases to be useful. I like it for the wall opposite the Kingwood sofa, and then a large picture above the fireplace instead.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Nancy Guest

What a beautiful frame and beveled mirror. I enjoy your planning photos. My thoughts mirror Duane's. The fireplace anchors the room. If your wall opposite the H & M sofa is available it would work nicely because the mirror would reflect the natural light and your nice window adding light, character and balance to the room. If it were to go above the fireplace, think about what it would reflect, like art on the opposite wall? I did that above our sofa which has to sit against a plain wall, but the round beveled mirror above it reflects grouped landscape paintings on the opposite wall. A pair of nice candlesticks with a painting above the fireplace sounds appealing. A mirror above a fireplace can work beautifully. As I thumb through my collection of interior design books I see many nice examples. It's worth experimenting and seeing what looks best then spackling the undesired holes if you have to.

carmela39 Guest

I think a painting or other piece of Art is more appropriate for the mirror over the fireplace. My sister just hung a mirror over her fireplace. I have to jump up and down to see my self and most other things in the room.

Does nothing for the room. I agree with Duane if there is a wall opposite your sofa, hang the mirror there.

I agree with the prior sentiments. But in my last house we went for a big mirror over the fireplace (it was opposite a window, so putting it on the other wall wasn't so much an option) and it really opened up the room.

That couch arm... not Hancock & Moore. Not even close. Don't even ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISvaxi81xp1iub.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	806  

Thank you for the input. I will post more pics showing the wall across from the sofa soon. I have half walls leading into the dining room and a wall off center to the sofa where the 2 chairs and table will go. Maybe the mirror will go behind the chairs or maybe the hall wall coming in the front door across from the half wall where the opening to the living room is.

Here is a pic that shows the room from another angle. You can see where we had our old love seat. We are waiting on 2 Jessica Charles Peterson chairs that will go in that spot and a barrel table in the middle of them. Also the hall coming in. Excuse the mess that is all gone now. We were ripping out the rug and painting so everything went from spot to spot as we went. You can see the small mirror on the wall in the front hall. Think the mirror is too big for that spot?

Nancy Guest

The mirror's black frame with gold highlights looks great in the yellow room. It could work nicely on the half wall where you'll have chairs with a table and would balance the geometry of the openings that flank it. If it's hung in the hall way maybe vertically would look best?

Nancy

Thanks for the ideas. Just for kicks I hung the mirror in the hall and snapped a pic. What do you think? Once the chairs and table arrive I will hang it behind them and see how it looks. What type of hight would you place it behind the chairs and table? The mauve rug is coming up in the hall soon and new paint is coming also.

Nancy Guest

Wow, mirror looks great vertical. Now that it's in the hall, scale looks too big for that location. Vertical look is good. What about keeping the vertical look and centering it on the half wall so the bottom of mirror frame is the same height as the wood trim of your openings? When you get your furniture, it may look perfect or need adjusting. Or, center its height, too, in relationship to the top and bottom of the openings that flank it. Fun ideas to play with.