Thread: Banning Foreign Members

Default Banning Foreign Members

Its become a daily ritual here on the forum, I kick off all the new members in the morning that arrived overnight from India, Pakistan, China, The Philippines and the UK that come here to spam the forum.

I don't know why they spend the hour or two to register, then make posts and set up links in their signatures. I've become so good at it that I can check a poster's IP address to see where they are from, delete their posts and ban them permanently in about 45 seconds per incident.

Alamgmail signed in last night and created (19) spam posts on the forum. Must have taken him at least an hour to type that many. I had him out of here in less than a minute. HA!

So I'm thinking they must get paid by someone to do this over in India, etc. Show they made the posts and get a nickel per post or something like that. Anyone know?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Default Re: Banning Foreign Members

Duane-
    Can't offer any info on what motivates foreign posters, but glad to hear that you have the power to easily delete with the push of a button. It's always disappointing to find posts in the am that have absolutely nothing of value to add to this extra-ordinary site! Keep on deleting!

Riddle Guest

Even if you're fast, the extra admin overhead is a pain. Not sure what your environment is like, but you might want to investigate configuring the firewall on your server to block certain ranges of IP addresses.

mybs Guest

Blocking IP ranges will work to a certain degree, unless they decide to go through proxies. Unfortunately, spam is always an issue on any forum I've visited, which is why there are always admins to do the work of removing them

Looks like the marketing firms outsourced this to almost comical results. The nice thing is because of their IP address and gibberish postings it's easy to spot them.

The ones who really are an issue are domestic postes who really are corpoarte paid shills who are paid/rewarded to post on these forums. Most of them post just like the rest of us but they have an agenda to promote certain brands and put down the competition. Some of them take awhile to notice since they are good at what they do and subtle with the way they go about things. It's one thing for someone who is open about a product/company they are affiliated with and another with someone pretending to be just a consumer of products like most of us.