Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Snowing!

Default Re: Snowing!

<sigh> I don't even look at the weather anymore - resigned to winter and SNOW!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thought I remembered this thread from last winter.. In the market for a nice snowblower - I live in New England so I'm thinking about investing in a big boy - One that will throw a good amount of snow and one I won't have to upgrade. Is Honda still the consensus for you guys in the know?

Did you ever upgrade Duane?

Honda HS928wa wheeled unit. All you will ever need. I have used them all. Do not get the version with tracks or your back will hate you.

Thanks Knee!

Exactly the unit I was looking at. Do the big box stores carry this model, or am I looking at dealer only?

Look at the deluxe or pro models of Ariens. Many service techs. rate Ariens as good as Honda for less $$$$$. The other concern about Honda is the handle bars are too low for tall guys, so be sure to try one out before making a purchase.
    Honda will only be found at dealers or at online stores like Snowblowers Direct, but I would go the dealer route for service work/parts etc. There are a number of online forums that discuss the pros/cons of various makes, but it seems that Ariens, Honda and Toro dominate as favorites.

Larry

Thanks Larry, excellent info. I'm only 5' 10" so I don't think I should have an issue with the handlebars.. will def try before I buy though.

Honda dealer only. Some Honda car dealers have them. Or Craigslist. I am 6'3 and the wheeled 928wa is perfect. I have owned the 624 724 both wheeled and the 1132 tracked and the wheeled units were all great. The tracked unit I had to lean over and my back would kill by the end. I also Own an Ariens pro DLE 1128 and an Ariens 824 deluxe and in my opinion the Honda is easer and throws more snow easier and never clogs.

I like my Ariens pro but love my Honda 928wa. Honda's design has been the same for years. No frills. Normal crank for the chute. If it works dont fix it. Proven and simple. All the other brands keep coming up with new frills to try and sell more and compete back and fourth. Ariens came out with a trigger on the handle that would lock both wheels a few years back and it was horrible. I had nothing but problems.

New ways to turn the chute, different style augers, Different gear boxes, Different drive. I like the original not the new and improved.

I can tell you that I have honestly owned over 100 different blowers in the past few years and I think the 928 is the best all around machine. Simple straight forward and will toss the snow onto your neighbors roof.

Many people will chime in and tell you about less expensive machines and yes you can get a less expensive machine that will work great and you might be happy with it. But you will always wonder about the Honda.

Thanks again Knee!

100 different blowers!!??

Now that's a man who love to throw snow!!!

Yes I love Snowblowing. I dont know why but I am a Snowblower nut. From little diecast all the way to the big monsters. If you want a great forum to read and post about snowblowers check out www.opeonthenet.com and if you join tell them KneeBiter sent ya!

I think I'll just take your expert advice Knee, I don't need another addiction!