Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other H&M Questions

envirochick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Here's some photos, two of pieces in Document, one in Kipling Whiskey.

Prices in Kipling (Grade II)

September # 9749: $ 3,766
    Metro # 4390: $ 3.045
    Kodiak # 9503: $ 3,703

Scan of the Warranty Policy to follow.....
    Thanks Duane. Do the prices above include any Grade II hide (other than promo)?

Quote Originally Posted by envirochick View Post
    Thanks Duane. Do the prices above include any Grade II hide (other than promo)?
    Yes, those prices are good for any grade II hide on those models.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

envirochick Guest

Yes, those prices are good for any grade II hide on those models.
    You know, I'm looking at that photo of the Document Sage you sent....now i'm really afraid. I definitely was hoping that Doument Copper didn't have that mottled look to it. Do you think Kipling is a poor choice for a busy room with many windows? I don't want to worry tremendously about it fading or being damaged. Can you recommend any other Grade II's, or Grade I's for that matter, that offer some protection in the color pallete we're drawn to?

Maybe the Metro In Berkshire Tobacco would be a good match for our lifestyle? Do you have any Berkshire pieces on your floor currently?

The Document Sage is a tri-tone, most of the Documents are two-tones (as you see in the Sadler Recliner). Here's one more I have on the floor, in Document Latte (photo attached). As you can see, all the Documents have a mottled appearance to them.

Document is a corrected, finished hide. That means its sanded, softened, embossed to put the grain pattern back in, the pigmented (Sprayed color). Finally it is hand-rubbed with the highlighting giving it that multi-tone effect.

Kipling is just the opposite. Its vat-dyed Aniline, and you can see the original grain patterns, fat wrinkles and other small imperfections on the hide. Its a very natural looking leather.

I have Kipling Whiskey in my house on my own personal recliner (a Sadler). I have lots of sunlight streaming into the room and in 18 months since I've had it, no fade. I do have solar film (light) on my windows and I will put a throw over it in the summer months when the sunlight plays directly on it.

I have an older 10-year B-Y aniline piece next to it that sun-faded. However all is not lost, I had Leather Master make up a Dye Kit for it ($ 90) and when I got done re-dying it - looks like new. So while you should be aware of sun fading, its not hard to take steps to control it. For me, the beauty and comfort of an Aniline dyed leather is worth covering the piece in the summer.

I have an office chair in Berkshire at my home at a computer desk. That leather is great for an office chair, but its a bit coarse and pebbly for a sofa IMHO.

None of the other Class I or II hides will be as rich as Kipling in that amber/honey colorway, we'd have to move into Class III and IV hides and they will be Aniline as well. There is Supple (a class I) hide in a honey color, but its somewhat artificial looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DocLatte.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	14  
    Duane Collie

envirochick Guest

The Document Sage is a tri-tone, most of the Documents are two-tones (as you see in the Sadler Recliner). Here's one more I have on the floor, in Document Latte (photo attached). As you can see, all the Documents have a mottled appearance to them.

Document is a corrected, finished hide. That means its sanded, softened, embossed to put the grain pattern back in, the pigmented (Sprayed color). Finally it is hand-rubbed with the highlighting giving it that multi-tone effect.

Kipling is just the opposite. Its vat-dyed Aniline, and you can see the original grain patterns, fat wrinkles and other small imperfections on the hide. Its a very natural looking leather.

I have Kipling Whiskey in my house on my own personal recliner (a Sadler). I have lots of sunlight streaming into the room and in 18 months since I've had it, no fade. I do have solar film (light) on my windows and I will put a throw over it in the summer months when the sunlight plays directly on it.

I have an older 10-year B-Y aniline piece next to it that sun-faded. However all is not lost, I had Leather Master make up a Dye Kit for it ($ 90) and when I got done re-dying it - looks like new. So while you should be aware of sun fading, its not hard to take steps to control it. For me, the beauty and comfort of an Aniline dyed leather is worth covering the piece in the summer.

I have an office chair in Berkshire at my home at a computer desk. That leather is great for an office chair, but its a bit coarse and pebbly for a sofa IMHO.

None of the other Class I or II hides will be as rich as Kipling in that amber/honey colorway, we'd have to move into Class III and IV hides and they will be Aniline as well. There is Supple (a class I) hide in a honey color, but its somewhat artificial looking.
    Thank you again Duane for such honest advice. The Document Latte in the photo is very nice. Much different than the tri-color Sage. The Latte looks nothing like the leather swatch I have. Is the photo, in your opinion, pretty representative of the leather in person?
    Last edited by envirochick; 10-07-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by envirochick View Post
    Thank you again Duane for such honest advice. The Document Latte in the photo is very nice. Much different than the tri-color Sage. The Latte looks nothing like the leather swatch I have. Is the photo, in your opinion, pretty representative of the leather in person?
    Yes, swatches - all swatches of all hides - don't show you the overall effect, that's why I like to post photos of the pieces made up, taken with a non-professional camera as a snapshot so you can see what they really look like.
    Duane Collie