Thread: Change legs on H&M sofa?

My3dogs Guest

Default Change legs on H&M sofa?

Hi Duane,

I am the happy owner of an H&M Kent Chesterfield sofa purchased in 2003, with the standard bun feet in Sandlewood. Love it!!

I saw the new H&M 'Tavern' Sofa, in the March 2010 issue of House Beautiful, and it makes me think of mine with a few sexy curves added!

I am wondering if H&M sells 'replacement' feet/legs for their pieces, so that an owner could potentially swap them out for an updated style? I haven't flipped mine over (not an easy task) to see how the bun feet are attached, but I'd love to be able to put on some feet similar to what is shown in the Tavern Style. My sofa has 5 feet - 3 in the front and 2 in the back. It's sits low, so I am not concerned about a few added inches of height, other than my tennis ball nut of a dog would then be able to get them under the sofa for me to retrieve.

Please tell me if this is possible -
    Does H&M sell the feet as an 'after market' purchase,
    What would the price be,
    Would the average 'quite handy with tools' homeowner be able to do the swap?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Default Re: Change legs on H&M sofa?

Your Kent sofa has three or four screws per foot attaching each bun foot. The Tavern sofa let does not go on in the same manner (direct screw in), I'll have to check and see if its practical to do so. But yes, you can buy legs and bases from H&M...price varies per leg style.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My3dogs Guest

Duane, If are able to find some legs that would work on my sofa, in a style along the lines of the ones I mentioned, I'd be interested in a price and shipping quote from you. I'm in southern Maine and you have shipped me a cleaning kit and some nail heads in the past.

I mentioned the style on the Tavern sofa, as it had just come in the mail, but anything similar to that which might be able to replace mine is of interest.

Thanks for your help!

H&M says there are no legs they can think of that would give you the look you like that are screwed on. Its typically on the block feet and buns that are attached in that manner and the longer turned legs are integrated into the frame. You would probably have to have a set custom-turned for you by a local woodworker, with provisions made in the turning to attach with screws. Sorry!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

My3dogs Guest

Thanks for trying, Duane. You got info that I wouldn't have been able to get on my own!