Thread: Hancock & Moore Custom Sizing

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Custom Sizing

Are there any H&M sofas that can be custom-sized to order? We have a small living room (actually, half our entire downstairs might fit in most people's living/family rooms ) and I'm doing research for a future purchase. I want the next sofa I purchase to be the last sofa I purchase. I've looked at Lee Industries, Drexel, Century, EJ Victor, and Kindel. Kindel was the frontrunner, until I remembered that H&M offers a fabric option on their sofas. So I've been looking at their website and have found a few I love--like the Reed Tufted Sofa--but it's a few inches too long, and a few inches too high (unless the feet come off). Our doorways are 29" wide, and we live in a typical New England cape cod style house: open the front door and 2-1/2 ft. directly in front of you are the stairs to the second floor, with arched openings to the dining room on the right, and the living room on the left. Finding furniture for such a small house is a challenge!

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Custom Sizing

Okay, why I posted this thread in "Leather Upholstery," I have no idea. Sorry.

Yes, they can modify almost all their pieces to a specific size, but it can get VERY expensive to do length and height mods. Its like building a new piece from the ground up. Keep in mind that when you mod a size, you have to cut all new patterns. The frame is reduced, the springs have to gridded differently, most of the template patterns can't be used for fabric or leather cutout, and they have to make cushions from scratch as well. Lots of steps. As a guideline, whatever the price of a standard sofa would be multiply it by 1.5 to get an idea of a custom charge for a size mod.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

organic_smallhome Guest

Thank you. I think I found a couple that might work. Now I just have to start saving my pennies. Are the feet on H&M sofas usually attached, Duane?

As a general guide, if you see a bun foot, or a wedge foot, those are usually screwed on. Most everything else is integrated into the frame.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.