Thread: Budget planning for dream home sofas

mrsbseattle Guest

Default Budget planning for dream home sofas

Greeting from Seattle. Am doing very preliminary research on sofa purchase. . .we are in process of designing & building the 'dream home', and while furniture purchase for said home is at least 1 1/2 yrs off, I want to put together a realistic furniture budget, as well as slowly narrow in on the perfect choice for us.

We want 2 matching leather sofas for the living room. Our current sofa is 108" in length, which we love, so we will likely end up wanting to custom order the two sofa's so we get the length we love. . .the living room footprint is a pretty decent size, so a standard size sofa may end up looking too small for the space. Another consideration: we have dogs, and am curious what leather grades might be recommended for better wear & tear.

Have found a H&M sofa that love, love, love the look of. . .
    4200 Marchant Sofa (Height 37", Width 90", Depth 44.5"). Is this depth considered average? For budget planning purposes, in the recommended leather grade (above) for dog owners (!), what would be a current estimate for said sofa? Have read some of the other threads re: adding 30-50% of price for custom length, etc.

Totally appreciate any/all info, thanks!
    Last edited by mrsbseattle; 02-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.

artielange Guest

Default Re: Budget planning for dream home sofas

I completely agree with you, MrsBSeattle, that Marchant sofa is a B E A U T Y !!!!

One of the reasons that the # 4200 Marchant is measuring 44" deep is that it has a gentle curve to it which you probably saw in the photos. At 90" long and 37" High, its about average in those dimensions. If you want to custom the length, its do-able but plan on about 1.5 x the regular price to do so and allow for 4 months build time at a minimum. Budget about $ 4K for a standard one and $ 6K for custom sized, per each. Prices will vary with dealer and leather selection, current pricing, etc.

Ahhhh....the doggies! There is no perfect leather for pets on the furniture. The real answer is to let let them up on the furniture, but assuming you don't want to do that, then FINISHED leathers (includes Aniline Plus hides) that have a protective top coat can be scratched by doggie paws and nails. Aniline leathers won't scratch, but they can and will absorb the animal oils the pets bring to the furniture and that can result in some discoloration of the hide. So you can pick your poison!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mrsbseattle Guest

Great, thanks for the budgetary estimates, much appreciated! Any idea on how the back sits (comfort) for this particular sofa? Also, is there any advantage to lighter color leather for sun exposed pieces (does sun fading appear less obviously?)

Afraid I don't have a comment for you on the comfort of that specific piece, I've not had one come through the store. However there is precious little that goes out the door at H&M that doesn't sit well. No design is made until Jack, Jimmy and Tim sign off on it and if they don't like the way a piece feels to sit in, then its tweaked until it feels right or the design goes on the scrap-pile.

Sun Fade control is all about UV film on the windows. Since you are building a new home from scratch, spend some time with your builder and discuss windows at length. This is the one place you DO want to put your money into, and get high-quality windows that will block most UV rays. Low-E glass, UV coatings, etc., there is a lot to study on it. Here's a starter link:

http://www.seriouswindows.com/html/uvprotection.html

As to leather fading, aniline hides will fade more rapidly than finished leathers. Color doesn't matter too much.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.