Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bradington-Young recliner mechanism, made in China

ta_billy Guest

Default Re: Bradington-Young recliner mechanism, made in China

Something like this

Tried to delete with no success
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crazy challenger print.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	859  
    Last edited by ta_billy; 02-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Hey Billy - I don't think I have any Dodges left, I will check tomorrow.

All of the old Roach Hotrods definitely looked that way though, Big Daddy Roth style!

I think these were the only Dodge designs I had, and I'm almost positive I sold out of them on the bay, they were popular.

Old 'Cuda with "Mopwr" on the license plate.. think I sold all of these too..

bossman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ta_billy View Post
    Yes, it is the 900 series. I was told by the sales lady that the unit was entirely manufactured domestically. I was very interested in the piece but I'm not budging on my "must be completely made in the US" position. I will pay the extra money for the quality and support in US manufacturing. I told her is was now time for me to vet the piece. I simply extened the recliner mechanism and read the tag, "Made in China".

...and out the door I went.

My wife and I really liked the unit. It had a great look, good comfort level, and the reclining feature was a plus.

I have looked at the Flexsteel products as well. Problem is that Flexsteel really does not have the equivalent of the 900 series BY. The Oslo reclining sofa by Flexsteel is a perfect 10 as far as comfort, but my wife and I really do not like the look. Flexsteel's really comfortable pieces look like "marshmellows" to us

Any suggestions on an equivalent to the 900 series functionality and looks, but made in the US?

I'm also looking for a high leg recliner, US made, that has good head support. Maybe some kind of high back? I'm looking for a tranditional lounge chair look with a reclining feature and good head support...maybe this is a red herring?

I actually work for a large electronics contract manufacturer and I make my living chasing the "cost down - out source it to a low cost region model". Not real proud of it, but it is what I have to do for now to get by

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated....and your site is fantastic and very helpful.

Thanks,
    Billy

Guys, Just so you'll know.

Bradington-Young has gone thru a lot of changes in management and product.It used to be an all hardwood doubled dowed frame and is now a lower quaility all plywood frame in an efford to cut costs.They are also getting away from Leggett and Platt hardware(cost cutting) and changing to a cheaper domestic manufacturer that in my opinion will not hold up nearly as well. Be careful when looking at Bradington-Young!

Bossman, as a newbie poster here, you need to establish some credibility before making blanket statements damaging to a brand like that. What is the source of your information? I have B-Y rolling into my store weekly and I've not seen any of what you allude to in their mainline goods. Recliners that came in today (4/19) have Leggett and Platt mechanisms and build has not changed.

They have a new ENVISION series out that does have less expensive components and build in it - in return for a lower price point. But this has not come into their mainline product and is only in that series.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

An update to this...

Here's a photo of the underside of a Bradington Young # 4114 Recliner that I took out of the box this morning (one of the $ 769 deal recliners). As you can see, it has a Leggitt and Platt mechanism (hologram sticker), Is a hardwood frame base, with laminated hardwood frame and reinforced with cross-banding, and is bracketed. They have been making them this way for years and years.

I dug a little deeper into this in the quest for the truth - and BY is changing over to Ultra-Mech motion mechanisms, which are made in the USA. I'm told its not a cost cutting move, but that they find the Ultra-Mech to be a smoother unit. Time will tell.

B-Y Warranties:

Limited Lifetime on the Frame
    5-years on mechanisms
    5-years on seating support (springs)
    Limted Lifetime on Cushion Cores

I recommend them and they continue to offer excellent value for the money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guts1.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guts2.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guts3.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	936  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,

We've ordered 2 B-Y 4114s in Ranchero last week (they're supposed to be delivered first week in July). I'll give you my findings on these chairs when we get them, but after reading your update on delays in the leather industry, it might be quite sometime after the July date.
    Last edited by BrentB; 05-11-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Correction on leather choice.