Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good quality sectional

efloyd Guest

Default Good quality sectional

I am new to this forum and to furniture buying in general. I am looking for a sectional sofa. The most important quality is durability with comfort coming in a close second. I want a secional with 2 recliners and that will seat 6 people. My research to date has been confusing, to say the least. I wouldn't mind spending for a mid to high quality peace, but I want to know I am getting something that will last (we have 4 small children). I really wanted to buy local, but the local stores don't have anything better than Lane. Flexsteel is about the best I can find on craigslist and I haven't read a whole lot good about them either. Looks like I will be buying from afar. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Good quality sectional

I'm going to throw a wet blanket on your post by saying I would definitely NOT recommend a sectional with recliners built into the piece with four small kids from a safety standpoint. I've seen too many little hands and legs caught up in recliner mechanisms with trips to the ER over the years. Kids tend to both sprawl and horse-around on sofas/sectionals and invariably someone is getting tackled while a recliner is extended and the lever trips, and little hands and feet get caught up in it. So you may want to take this aspect into consideration before you shop for the dual recliner format. I personally believe you can get very close to the same effect with stationary pieces and a good ottoman to put in front of it.

All properly built pieces will last. But you do have to pay for quality as I'm sure you know. There's a number of brands you can read about here on the forum that will do the job.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

efloyd Guest

Thanks for the insight, Duane. Anyone have any insight into what sort of durability I can expect from a Klaussner?

I'm not familiar enough with Klaussner to render an opinion, but a quick search yielded this unhappy customer:

http://askville.amazon.com/experienc...estId=16894483

If you decide on a motion sectional, I would think that you can expect to pay around $ 5K or more for one with Leggett and Platt mechanisms and solid wood frames. For example this # 927 B-Y unit is running $ 4,602 plus shipping in a grade 2 leather:

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0000&style=927
    Duane Collie

efloyd Guest

Thanks. The info on the B-Y unit was the most helpful so far. My research online has revealed that every manufacturer has unhappy customers who are more than happy to tell us about it, but with some it seems evident that quality is a real problem. It seems that Klaussner is one of these. Poor customer service is an automatic turn off for me as well. With proper care, can we expect this sofa to last for the rest of our lives? How is B-Y's customer service?

I may have my facts screwed up but I believe Klausner is sold by a local furniture super store that on price points competes with Ashley.

efloyd Guest

I haven't been impressed with what I have read about Ashley, either. Is anyone aware of a way to look for used B-Y sectionals?

How old are ya? <g>

I'd not expect a 'lifetime' use out of any piece of upholstered furniture unless you are in your 60's or 70's.....motion furniture by its very nature of moving parts and being structurally less 'put together' is probably going to be less as well. I like to say 20 years is average one can expect before either things start wearing out, or the piece just looks tired. Exceptions can be made for low-use pieces of course, but I noticed in your first post that you say you have four small kids and I assume this will be a main, daily-use piece....so 20 is the number I like. When the last of the kids is out of the house, you'll give it to one of them for their first apartment and be ready for something new for you and the Mrs.

Customer Service is 90% handled through the selling dealer and his willingness to assist in any problem areas that may develop. B-Y is O.K., but not as customer-oriented as a company like Hancock and Moore in my experience as dealer for both.

The real trick if you go this route is to keep the leather clean...very important. And don't let kids roughhouse on the piece when the recliner mechanisms are extended.
    Duane Collie

efloyd Guest

We are in our early 40's. We learned the "don't let your kids roughhouse on and extended recliner" lesson on our current couch. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would rather spend 4k to replace a couch half as often as a 2k cough. It sounds like I need to start with looking for a solid wood frame and a Leggett and Platt mechanism. This forum to date has done more for me than weeks online, but as useful as it is, I know it is taking up your time. Does your offer for phone advice for pay still (that I read about in another section of this forum) still apply? What are some other brands that fit the above description?
    Last edited by efloyd; 02-26-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: wanted to add more info

Correct, and the best part about it is the better built unit will give you COMFORTABLE service throughout its useful lifespan, whereas the cheaper pieces lose their sitting support and structure stiffness long before they are replaced.

I don't mind answering questions on the forum, because it builds the database with information for future users of the forum. (Saves me from having to re-type everything!). If you intend to place your order through my store then by all means please call. However if you're going to purchase elsewhere then please stick to the forum for Q & A's.

Premium brands that I happen to carry are :

Hancock and Moore
    Leathercraft
    Taylor King
    Bradington Young
    Duane Collie