Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H & M 4691/4690 Author Chair

ta_billy Guest

Default H & M 4691/4690 Author Chair

Has anybody had any experiences with the H & M 4691/4690 Author Chair? I love the look of this chair and it also seems that the dimensions would really lend to being comfortable. However, it is really difficult to guess if the chair would actually be as comfortable as it looks.

Duane, any advice?

Default Re: H & M 4691/4690 Author Chair

Lots of folks here have it and love it, hopefully they will make a post. Its a BIG chair, needs a good sized doorway to fit through. Used to be called the Hemingway Chair until the Hemingway estate got after H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ta_billy Guest

Interesting point about the size. I hadn't thought of that so it is a good thing I asked! Do you think a 36" door accommodate this chair? That would be my bottleneck.

Also, I'm just trying to understand how to best determine form, fit and function of a piece of furniture based on a picture, some dimensions and comparing to available pieces at local furniture dealers. Just trying to tap into others experiences.

Billy

Yes, anything H&M builds will fit through a 36" opening, and 85% of the line will go through 33" doorways. Once we get smaller than that it becomes something I usually like to check into on specific pieces. I can't tell you how many times I've worked with someone for an hour or two to get the PERFECT piece and combination then find out it won't fit in the room they want to use it in. Most of knowing what will work regarding egress is based on experience.

Dimensionally, check the seat height off the floor, the inside depth, and overall height. Keep in mind that what is comfortable for a 5' 3" lady isn't so much for 6' 2" man and vice versa. I'm always amazed at how accommodating the ladies are in buying sofas when I can clearly see their feet won't touch the floor when they sit in the piece, but if their husband is comfy in it - they'll sign off on it.

20" seat height is average.
    20 to 21" seat depth is average.
    38" overall height is average.
    Duane Collie

Here is a link with pics and comments of my chair. It is a big chair no question. I designed my office specifically around it. I do love that chair.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=author

That's a GREAT looking chair in the burnished leather. I need one of those for my Library / Office in my home and retire my old Southwood leather chair I've had for 15 years there. Hmmmm....where can I get one?

I'd really like to see some photos of that chair as it ages with use, at say the 1 year mark, then 2, then 3....I'd like to see the change in the burnished leather over time on a piece that is used often.
    Duane Collie

Remind me in a year. The funny thing is, my wife didn't think I needed that chair. I suspect though that she sneeks in during the day and ends up using it more than I do!

ta_billy Guest

Yeah, that's a dandy of a chair. Just what I want and I love the leather you chose.

Does the chair provide good head support. I mean some of the chairs I have sat in lately only go up to my shoulders. I'm looking for a high-back type that gives head support when I sitting in it. It does not have to hold my head up but I do want the chair to be there when I lean my head back...like say to take a nap

Duane, I need to understand what one of these bad boys cost. May I contact you via a PM for help?

Thanks,
    Billy

Hi Billy,

I send a quote to you for that chair and ottoman done the same way, in grade 3 burnished leather. Check your PM's.
    Duane Collie

bachja13 Guest

I also love this chair and was going to buy one for my home office, which is in an extra bedroom. Duane was kind enough to have H&M measure one that was being built, and unfortunately it won't fit through my 29" door.

However, I love this chair so much that we're going to find a way to make it work in our living room, when we start working on that!