Thread: Sliding Sofa

mcarey Guest

Default Sliding Sofa

Here's the problem...My sofa keeps sliding back into the drapes... My family room has hardwood floors and my sofa is situated in front of a wide window that has panel drapes hanging on either side. I have positioned the sofa away from the windows by about 6 inches or so, but everytime someone sits down, the sofa slides back and crushes the drapes. I am constantly adjusting the position of the sofa and would be interested to hear if there is a better way to deal with this. I recently placed my new H&M sofa order with Duane...YEAH! and would like to figure out how to fix this problem before it arrives (in about 4 months or so since I've ordered a cutting for approval) BTW my current sofa is a Hancock and Moore Sofa, so I would think that I will have the same issues going on when the new one arrives. Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Sliding Sofa

A similar problem was just addressed in the March 2010 issue of Family Handyman. For a picture of this fix, see Handy Hints, page 76.

"Stay-put sofa" "The back of our sofa kept rubbing against the wall, scuffing our beautiful paint job. We kept pulling the sofa out from the wall but it kept slipping backward every time someone plopped down. My husband finally fixed the problem by making wooden shoes for the back two sofa legs. He cut a scrap 1x4 into two short sections and then cut holes to fit the legs. The 'sofa shoes' keep our sofa in its place. If your sofa doesn't have a skirt to hide the shoes, you could stain them to blend in with your flooring. "

The H&M might be heavy enough that this won't happen. If it does you can buy a roll of sticky back soft rubber at the local hardware store and cut a small piece for the bottom of the feet.

I've tried the non-skid stick-on stuff in the past. My problem with this is that in a short amount of time, the rubber has worn off and then I've got adhesive on my wood floors. I've never made "custom shoes" for my furniture, but I have used wood blocks to keep my furniture from sliding back into a wall.

Try using rubberized place mats/drink coasters/ drawer liners under the feet of the moving furniture. These are waffled and made of a rubberized material. Cut them to any shape you like. I use these under cutting boards in the kitchen to keep the board from sliding around.

furnfixer Guest