Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ekornes Stressless

SemperFiMom Guest

Default Re: Ekornes Stressless

Duane, love that story! Dad had quite a few stories of his days on the B24 (called the "Flying Fortress, I believe), particularly of the four missions that were shot down. Unfortunately, the last had serious consequences to the crew...with the unfortunate deaths of 5 of 7 crew members. Daddy was liberated by General George C Patton on April 29, 1945, from Stalag Luft VIIa (7a). I wish I could retell the story of Patton riding in and saving "our boys" but it would never be as eloquent as Dad's version.

Dad planned his funeral many years in advance of his passing. His personal request was that the Memorial Service was not for him but for his crew members. Our family honored his request, and it was one of the most touching memorials I have ever attended. Many people commented on the selflessness that Daddy reflected in his life. Even in dying, he wanted others remembered more who he loved and cared about so much.

When entering the 1st German prison camp (Stalag Luft 3), Dad was issued a small New Testament Bible. In the front cover, my father wrote the following (which I still have in possession):

"Someday there will be another flight when we are all together again, and, yes, we will have our scuffle to get me on board, but this time the weather will be CAVU, there will be no loud noises nor parachutes and we will complete our flight to a place where there will be peace and tranquility, forever," written by Dillard Cantrell "To My Crew and The Mission We Did Not Complete," 1944.
    Last edited by SemperFiMom; 03-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.

I own one of the recliners. We purchased 2 while living in Puerto Rico in 1995. The chairs/ottomans were about $1600 each even back then. I very much liked the reclining feature coupled with the ottoman, much more than the traditional recliners with built-in footrests. The separate ottoman allowed for more flexibility for foot position.

We had some problems with the wooden base that needed repairs on both units and one chair finally became unusable when the frame broke. On the remaining chair the bolt on the pivot point broke and required drilling out prior to installing a replacement. For me the chairs are nice and they are comfortable but probably overpriced for the expected life of 7-10 years (my experience with 2 units). I believe a H&M tilt back and ottoman offers more comfort, better leather and is a better overall value, although probably a higher initial investment.

Larry

needstuff Guest

They are really comfortable, we've thought about getting one to replace our swivel glider.
    But the $$ adds up, so..