Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New H&M leathers from the Market

Default New H&M leathers from the Market

Here's some of the new leathers, which are not yet swatched to dealers. Some of these will be in the new Town & Country program for 2010. I do have these large swatches in my store and if you are in the Wash DC Area you can see them all in person if you stop by.

Not all the burnished samples are new, however its the first time I've had large sections to line up next to one another so I have included them as well.

You're going to see a lot of the "Dream" and "Portfino" series in national ads and in web site photos. Very supple, and soft. Nice hands, protected leathers. Portino reminds me Equestrian, but is a finished hide whereas Equestrian is not.

Burnished and Hand-Antiqued leathers are a hot look right now. I happen to like them a lot, but keep in mind these are artisan-toned by the craftspeople in the H&M finish department AFTER the piece is fully made. As such, there is a wide range of tonal color and variance to be expected, and forget about ever matching a second piece to one that is already made. Buying in this group is like buying a painting - be prepared for variances.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&MLeather09A.jpg 
Views:	1282 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&MLeather09B.jpg 
Views:	1331 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&MLeatherBurnished.jpg 
Views:	1598 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	734  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mcarey Guest

Default Re: New H&M leathers from the Market

Hi Duane-
    Thanks so much for ordering those leather samples for us! The Portofino Tobacco looks like a very nice leather! Is it as heavy as Equestrian? When will H&M make available swatches of these new leathers? Thanks again!

Probably late January to mid-February when the dealers see the samples arrive. They're available to order now. Yes, the Portofino is as thick and heavy as Equestrian.
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

So the Portofino leather may not tailor as well, especially on a sofa like the Evening due to the curved back cushions? Thanks-

Hi Marianne,

It looks and feels very much like the Payson Chino that is on the Evening sofa I have in the store, but its a grade less costly. It should tailor about the same as well. I took a small clip off my sample and dropped it in the mail to you today. You might like it!
    Duane Collie

mybs Guest

Hi Duane,

Which leather is on the sofa (first two pictures) that these swatches are placed on? Thanks

That's a Hancock and Moore Evening Sofa in Payson Chino, a USA-tannery leather, grade 3, that is no longer available. I have a front photo of that sofa here on the forum under PHOTO RESOURCES
    Duane Collie

eee Guest

Hi Duane and Happy New Year,

I’ve been contemplating the purchase of a sofa for a few months now. Several months ago I PM’d you and you were so nice to send me answers to my questions. I've been keeping up with the postings in the forum, feel like I've learned a lot more about leathers - I think I’m finally in the home stretch.

Instead of cowardly PMing you where no one else gets the benefit of your answers, I decided to be brave and post my questions.

Since we last emailed, I did get a chance to take a Hancock and Moore factory tour. “Factory” isn’t the word they should use – “studio” is more like it. There were no big machines – just American craftsmen and women who seemed to be pretty happy making Hancock and Moore furniture. I had a really nice tour guide – older fellow – knew everyone on the floor – joked and kidded around – it was near the end of the tour that I realized that “Jimmy” was in fact Jimmy Moore, one of the owners. I had read all the “good stuff” about Hancock and Moore – but I wasn’t prepared for what I experienced. This place is all about getting it right and making each piece carefully – no mass runs of anything going on there. They build ‘em piece by piece. I could go on, but I won’t – other than to say – having seen this, I wouldn’t even consider buying anything leather other than Hancock and Moore.

Anyway, I’m still undecided about exactly which leather and sofa. Following are the contenders; I’d appreciate any advice anyone can offer to help me decide. I know that whatever I pick is going to last a long time – a very good thing if I get it right – but if I get it wrong . . . .

Sofas
    I have a small room 11’10” x 16. The sofas I’m looking at are some of H&M’s smaller sofas with respect to outside depth and overall proportions.
    • 4651 Lena (from the dimensions, think this looks really comfortable – not sure about square arms though – like the nice clean lines for small room)
    • 4152 Reserve (like it, might like higher arms – don’t love the wheels on the legs)
    • 4111 Garden (looks “bigger” than the others – which is why it’s last)
    (I did find and try a City Sofa – liked it, didn’t love it. Also the smaller one is a little smaller than I want as far as inside width.)

Duane, how would you say these differ in how they sit? Do you have any of these on your floor?

Hides
    I want a protected hide – love some of the unprotected – but I’m going with leather to simplify my life and have a sofa that is golden retriever friendly. I’m thinking:
    • Antelope Chino: When I was at H&M they were working on one of these. (It was beautiful.) But when I looked at the picture of the sample on the H&M website, it doesn’t even resemble what I saw. (I know the pics aren’t accurate, but now I’m wondering if I’m mistaken about the hide I saw. I’m ok with the fact the Antelope has a color variation hide to hide, but is that just a bad pic?) I’d love to get a sample of this to be sure.
    • Portfino Tobacco: Hadn’t seen this until I looked at your market photos. Like it. You say it’s a little like the Equestrian – I had heard some forum members say that Eq. squeaked a little like a saddle – does Portfino? May I get a sample of this as well?
    • Columbia Butternut: Not quite as special as the first two, but from the prices you had sent me a few months ago, the price difference makes it special in its own way. May I have a sample of it as well?
    • Anything else you’d recommend that’s along these lines?

Finally, and this may make the sofa decision for me – will all of these fit through a 30” door opening. My den has three doorways – all three are 30” openings. One is just a doorway, no door – straight shot on each side.

I know you’ve said that H&M prices could change the beginning of this month. Did they? How much? Will there be the Feb. sale - same as usual 5%? Do you mind pricing out at least one of the above models with all three leathers in the new prices so I can see the difference between grades?

I do plan to purchase from you, Duane. I wouldn't take this much of your time and not order from you once I decide. I appreciate the info and advice you give everyone.

I’m also looking at two Jessica Charles swivel rockers – do you carry JC – didn’t see it listed on your furniture store website. I may need to order that locally as I'll be needing some help with fabric selection/color coordination.

I didn’t realize what a long post this was going to be. Sorry about that. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bravo! I like it when questions are on the forum rather than PM's because then everyone gets the benefit of the exchange. Over time, we can have a very nice library of answers built up that way.

I'm amused by your story of the tour of Hancock and Moore! How many hours did you tied-up with Jimmy before he let you go? That's his very favorite thing to do you know, give the tour! And he loves to kid around with his 'family' all the workers there. Of all the various furniture producing places I've been inside in the past 25 years, H&M has the most dedicated and enthusiastic workers of all - which is why I'm their # 1 fan. Did you get to meet Gloria at the front? (she runs the whole place, but don't tell Jack or Jimmy).

Onto the sofas per se:

# 4651 Lena: To be honest I've never had one come through the store. It has all the right specs for a mainstream sofa, however, so I would be comfortable saying I don't think you would be disappointed in it.

# 4152 Reserve: This is the smaller Apartment sized model, but it does sit well and is a popular model. At this size its more like a loveseat, are you sure you can't fit the full size 4153 in the room? The 16' length should accommodate the 84" model I would think. Legs can be swapped out, we do it all the time. Sometimes a modest upcharge, other times none at all.

# 4111 Garden: Another good sitting mainstream sofa. Sits a little higher than the others with a 21" seat height. if you are under 5' 5", your feet will probably not touch the floor in this one.

#9840 City Sofa. Agreed. I find the 9840 City a bit short seated, and not tall enough for me. A bit too cut down.

Leathers:

Antelope: If you can tolerate the grade 3 price point, this is the best and finest of the protected hides. A German leather, it is plush, soft, rich in appearance and still is fully protected. The photos don't do it justice!

Portofino Tobacco: This is a new leather, and I'd place it squarely in the middle between Antelope and Document. Its not as rich looking at Antelope, but not as processed-appearing ad Document. Has a light pebbly texture and a good soft hand while being fully protected. It won't be confused with Equestrian, but its decent.

Columbia Butternet: My favorite class 1 leather BY FAR. No other class 1 hide looks or performs as nice as this one. You will not confuse it for the two above, but it looks richer than it is, and most folks can't believe its entry grade when they see it made up.

Other leathers: Still staying in fully protected, I'd say that Aspen is one to consider, and if you can give up a little on the protection, then Fenway and Kipling are great class 2 hides.

30" Doorway. Wow! I was doing great on this reply until now....

The Lena is shaky. Its deep, and the back is high. I'd say not by looking at it.

The Reserve should go in. Probably the safe bet in this group.

The Garden - probably will go in, but it may be very tight.

The City will go in.

Tomorrow is the last day to order on the current price structure. I don't have the new price books at my home yet (just the current ones) so I can't tell you what the new prices will be. All of the Town and County items are increasing about 5% on average. In the main line book, most are NOT changing at all (maybe 20 % are increasing, but the remaining 80% are not).

Glad to help! And Glad you are learning from the forum.

Yes, they will have the 5% off February sale that usually runs for 5 weeks beginning Feb 1st. That applies only to the main line items and not anything in Town and Country.

PM me with your address and I'll get samples to you.

Yes, I also carry the full line of Jessica Charles and just added two new chairs in the store from them this week.
    Duane Collie

eee Guest

Thanks for the answers, Duane. I see I made two mistakes in my earlier post: first, one doorway is 32 inches. Your "wow" made me go back and check again - sorry about that. Second, I did mistype the Reserve number, I meant to put in the full size one - 4153, not the apartment size - oops. (Glad I wasn't ordering it!!! I would have had a good bit of extra room in my little den!!!! I probably would have realized I had it wrong when you priced it.) So now that I've added 2" to the doorway, think the 4651 Lena will clear a 32" straight shot doorway? Close call or "easy"? Glad to know a small change to the Reserve legs is a possibility.

As far as your comments on the City Sofa (smaller version) I'm only 5'5" (barely), but I thought the smaller City sofa was too shallow as well. It was a comfortable "sitter" for me, but if I wanted to put my legs up for reading/lounging - I wanted a little more depth. Meanwhile, the inside width is smaller than average as well.

I'll PM you my address so I can get samples - thanks. Assuming the Antelope Chino looks like I'm remembering it, it made a big impression. But I'm looking forward to seeing the Portfino - very pretty from your market photos.

As far as my tour - I certainly didn't feel rushed !!! But I enjoyed every minute and felt like I had met someone who is a pretty rare breed these days. I'll have to say, when I finished I was wishing that Jimmy Moore would take some time to be interviewed by someone who could do the story justice. It's an amazing American business story about consistently doing the right thing and seeing the rewards - particularly job satisfaction. He obviously LOVES what he does and I think that's one of the reasons that business has thrived. He was telling me that when he was hiring someone he told them that he wanted a promise from them - that after they had been employed a month, he was going to come back and ask them how they liked their new job. He asked them to promise him that if the answer was anything other than, "I love it", that they would agree to find something else. His philosophy being that it's not enough just to know how to do your job - to do it well, you've got to love it. While I wasn't asking the people that I met if they loved it, everyone I met (which was every person we walked by on the floor) seemed genuinely happy about what they were doing. Lots of kidding around with "Jimmy" as he walked through. I didn't get the sense it was anything other than the real deal. As far as my not knowing who Jimmy was - as you know since you know him - he's about the most humble person you could imagine. I didn't realize he was an owner until I was putting together some pieces of info as we walked around. And yes, I met Gloria - couldn't have been any nicer - does about five things all at the same time - smiling all the while. I did spend a few minutes on my drive home that day thinking about job satisfaction. That seems to be a pretty satisfied group.

I don't mean to sound like an H&M commercial, but as I guess is pretty obvious, I was really impressed. I consider myself a bit of a cynic about things too good to be true, but this was the real deal.

Ok, enough about that. Onto a related company, so what Jessica Charles chairs are on your floor? I had been looking at some Sherrill swivel rockers, but once I got through with the H&M tour, I realized that JC was also owned by some of the same folks and I decided I'd look at JC. Once again, looking for small dimensions - but comfy and with a back tall enough that I can put my head back.

Thanks again.