Thread: Advice on leather reclining sofa

amjone01 Guest

Default Advice on leather reclining sofa

My husband and I are looking to buy a leather reclining sofa for a recently finished basement. We have looked at about 10 stores, and no one seems very educated on what is a quality middle of the road leather reclining sofa. One store suggested the Seven Seas (B and Y) and another store suggested Lane. Yet another suggested Hancock and Moore.

So, a few questions for you:

1) What are some things we should be looking for in a couch that reclines? What are some basic construction properties that would make it stand up to wear and tear (we have 2 young children)?

2) Any recommendations on what brands are good for middle of the road ($2000 - $3000)?

Thanks for your assistance and advice!

Default Re: Advice on leather reclining sofa

Seven Seas is a 100 % made in China line by Bradington-Young. Not really my favorite, nor is any furniture from any company that is made in China.

Hancock & Moore is great, but double your budget.

Two things to consider:

1) You mention this is going into a basement, do you have adequate door clearance to get a piece this size into your home? You'll need (in most cases) a straight shot into the room and 33" of clear door space. These are very heavy units and don't maneuver well at all.

2) Think twice about using reclining sofas with young children. Kids like to sprawl on sofas and WILL get their hands and fingers caught in the mechanisms if they play and roughhouse on the piece as most kids do. I can almost guarantee some blood blisters and cut fingers. Also, the mechanisms cannot take being jumped on when in the extended positions and failure is likely (i.e., one kid in the recliner then tackled by another).

What I like much better - just in my experience - is a stationary piece or sectional and then get a large covered ottoman to pull up to the piece to use when you want to watch a movie. Works just as good as a recliner sofa (in my experience) and you get extra seating with the ottoman, plus kids love to sit on it closer to to the TV to play Xbox or Wii, etc.

I don't have any recommendations in that price range, sorry!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.