Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing a Fabric Sectional

Default Re: Advise please?

I am a manufacturer who builds Ready To Assemble sofas using only 100% solid oak frames. Although there are some parts of the frames that are best made from solid hard wood, there are many parts that would be equally strong if made from a good hardwood plywood or engineered wood.

I am now developing a new sectional for the line, and although I specified to my engineer that the frame had to be 100% solid wood, he keeps telling me that because of the precision required for this particular frame (requiring ganging pieces together) that it will have to be built from hard-wood plywoods cut on a CNC router.

I asked how much more it would cost to built the pieces with solid oak and was told that cost was not the issue. Solid wood just would not be as good a material in this particular application.

So now I have to figure out what I am going to be doing about all my marketing materials that say we only use 100% oak frames.

Jeff Frank
    www.simplicitysofas.com

I think you just have to go ahead and go with it, Jeff. I know that every maker out there uses some engineered plywood somewhere in their pieces and none of them put that in their sales materials. Perhaps just drop the "100 %" and stay with the Solid Hardwood Frame if the construction is 55% or better solid wood.

Even Hancock and Moore uses some engineered plywood for parts in some of their pieces, but they don't do the whole frame in them as does Flexsteel. I've heard the same from Jimmy Moore, where that kind of wood can be best for a particular location in a frame. As long as the whole frame isn't made of it, and subject to the twisting/racking, I think that's reasonable.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gbreda Guest

http://www.hallaganfinefurniture.com/ Go to Guarantee and then Frame Construction

http://www.templefurniture.com/construction.asp

Between the 2 manufactureres, the pricing is about the same at MRSP. One dealer discounts more than the other (Hallagan is cheaper) by about 400.00.

Is the overall construction of the Temple worth the difference? I just noticed that the Temple 3100 has a 20" seat height compared to Hallgan 748 18".

The higher seat height is favorable to me. Both have deep seat depth.

Thanks !!!!

I wish I could give you more advice but I have never even seen a Hallagan piece, as for Temple just saw it for the first time recently at a furniture store but didn't go over it all that much. The two companies pieces seem very similar in quality going off the website detail and warranties. One difference I notice is the Temple is curved where the two sections meet and let's someone if they desire to sit there, where the Hallgan is right angled so therefore you lose that seat for sitting.

As to the price difference, I would say it's close enough that I would go whichever one hits the mark on the following -
    Comfort of respective piece and how it feels/sits to you
    Available fabric choice to match your tastes
    Does the furniture store seem like they'll be there after the sale? Regardless of the companies reputation for quality if you buy from a dealer that disappears after the sale and do have an issue down the road you may be out of luck.

Also try a google search on both brands with search parameters like "Temple furniture quality" "Temple furniture issues" "Temple versus Hallagan" and see what comes back.
    Last edited by Briant73; 03-22-2010 at 12:44 PM.

gbreda Guest

Thanks for the replies. I went with the Hallagan as it has the best comfort for me. I also lucked out with Hubbingtons having a unit in with a fabric thatn we both really like.

It was delivered on Saterday and I have zero regrets. The Flexsteel that I had for a week does not come close to this sectional. The Hallagan is well worth the difference in comfort and the quality is definately superior.

Now I need to use the credit from the store that I bought the Flexsteel from. My better half's 6 year old daughter needs a bedroom set, so that will come in handy.

Glad you got it, I take it they had some in stock or you got the floor model because that was quick.

All I can say is I hope it holds up very well for you and gives you years of excellent service. I bet some members would enjoy seeing it if you would want to post pictures. Enjoy your furniture.
    Last edited by Briant73; 03-23-2010 at 10:08 AM.

gbreda Guest

Default Re: Advice please?

It was a floor model. As my old La Z Boy was taken away and the Flexsteel did not work out, I had lost the luxury of time.

I lucked out though with the fabric on the floor model.

5 days after delivery and this one fits in all areas. I knew that during my 9 month search for a sofa that at some point I would sit on one and know right away. The Hallagan was it.

Will try and post a pic

Thanks again !!!

Geno

howiekaye Guest

Default Re: Advice please?

Geno

We are considering a Hallagan sofa. Now that you've had it for a while, do you still recommend them?

Thaks

Howie

Default Re: Choosing a Fabric Sectional

[I just realized the original comment that i responded to here is actually a couple of years old. That makes everything I wrote below kind of irrelevant.]

Hey Duane,

This may surprise you but Simplicity Sofas could be the answer for this customer. We make a sectional that is 95" x 95" consisting of a left arm unit, armless unit, corner wedge unit (that can be used for seating), armless unit, right arm unit. With super premium spring down cushions the price in a mid-grade fabric (we currently stock about 200 different fabrics) is $3275 including shipping anywhere in the U.S. (except New York City which has a $150 additional fee). With 8" thick Ultracel high resilience foam cushions (backed by a lifetime warranty) the delivered price comes down by $375 to $2900. Production time is 30 days or less.

There are of course a few things Simplicity Sofas does differently than the other companies mentioned above:

• All Simplicity Sofas furniture is specifically designed for small scale rooms and to fit through narrow doors and stairways. The depth of our sectional units is only 30 1/2". To achieve a comfortable seat with that depth we don't just take a normal 35" deep unit and cut it down. The seat height, back pitch and cushion construction all have to be specially engineered.

For those skeptics who don't believe a 30" deep sectional can actually be comfortable, watch for the upcoming Mancave TV show on the DIY network (broadcast date not yet announced) featuring a Simplicity Sofas sectional built for a 300+ lb. former professional football player with lots of very large friends. This is a 17' x 10' sectional with seating for 11 people. It resides in a basement recreation room accessed by a 24" wide stairway.

• Like all Simplicity Sofas furniture sectionals are shipped unassembled to fit through narrow doors and stairways. Assembly time is 5 minutes per unit. No tools are needed.

• Every sectional is composed of individual single seat units. This gives the sectional frame tremendous strength (backed by a lifetime warranty.) It has been tested up to 500 lbs. without any sign of fatigue. The seat support is provided by Pirelli Webbing. 8-way hand-tied units are too large to fit in the single seat units. Hidden connecting hardware on the bottom of the sectionals units keeps them locked together in use but can be easily disconnected when necessary.
    Simplicity Sofas sectional frames have a hardwood plywood base and solid oak arm and back frames. Sectionals are the only products made by Simplicity Sofas which contain plywood. All sofa, sleeper and chair frames are made with kiln-dried solid oak. We tried very hard to design the sectional completely with solid oak but the unique, patented RTA (Ready to Assemble) design required very accurate cutouts with a CNC (computerized) Router which could only be done using plywood.

Here is a link to photos and information about our sectionals:

Simplicity Sofas Sectional Information

Charlotte Observer article about Simplicity Sofas sectionalhttp://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...nnovation.html

Jeff Frank, Owner
    Simplicity Sofas
    Last edited by simplyjeff; 02-04-2012 at 04:15 PM.