Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Fabric Sectional

gbreda Guest

Default Choosing a Fabric Sectional

Maybe third time is a charm........

I have recently come across this forum and wish that I had months ago. I could have saved myself time and energy.

I began my journey with a 1500.00 budget for a sectional (fabric). I am now in the 3000.00 range. After 9-12 months, I am pretty much at square one again in the new price range. Unfortunately, I dont have the luxury of time any longer as the Flexsteel is being picked up and my old sofa was taken away. Ah well, live and learn.

I am going to CA Hoitt in Manchester NH tonight in order to check different manufactures. They seem to carry alot of the brands that I am seeing on this forum.

Here is my question in a nutshell, for a fabric sectional approx 95x95 (100 x 100 max) will I find a noticeable difference between 3000.00 to the 3500.00 range? I have a good line on a Hallagan at 2995.00 (Hubbington's Furniture in Barrington NH) and posssible some Smith Brothers approaching 3500.00? I'm looking for something that will last and be comfortable to sit or lay on after a long work day. The Halligan is very comfortable, but may be a bit large for the room.

This is vague, I know but am I making any sense? Boy has this been a learning experience.......

Thank You for any insight.

Default Re: Advise please?

A $ 500 difference in a sectional can easily be the the cost of the covering on the piece. As you discovered, $ 1,500 buys junk not worth taking home and in the $ 3K to $ 3.5K you're at the entry level of better furniture as long as the cover is not too expensive (low to middle price grade fabric).

Everything looks and feels good when its new. Poor quality furniture degrades rapidly with use, whereas quality made units will feel as good in 5 years as they did the day they left the showroom. Look for proper construction in the interior of the piece. The key elements you want for the best in construction:

Double steel banded base (where the spring attached). Banded side to side and front to back.

5/4" hardwood frames, double doweled, screwed and glued.

8-way hand-tied spring base

Dupont Qualax cushion cores wrapped in fiber with muslim case, or spring down.

Those are the basics to look for. Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gbreda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    A $ 500 difference in a sectional can easily be the the cost of the covering on the piece. As you discovered, $ 1,500 buys junk not worth taking home and in the $ 3K to $ 3.5K you're at the entry level of better furniture as long as the cover is not too expensive (low to middle price grade fabric).

Everything looks and feels good when its new. Poor quality furniture degrades rapidly with use, whereas quality made units will feel as good in 5 years as they did the day they left the showroom. Look for proper construction in the interior of the piece. The key elements you want for the best in construction:

Double steel banded base (where the spring attached). Banded side to side and front to back.

5/4" hardwood frames, double doweled, screwed and glued.

8-way hand-tied spring base

Dupont Qualax cushion cores wrapped in fiber with muslim case, or spring down.

Those are the basics to look for. Good luck!
    Thanks Duane

I have a few questions on the particular Brands I am looking at.

Hallagan has all you pointed out except they use "mortise and tenon/precise puzzle joinery" joints.

Smith Brothers use all you pointed out but uses a "unitized coil spring system" that they claim is superior to eight way hand tying. Hoitt's Fine Furniture had an unfinished demo piece to show this. It did look impressive, but again I am no judge on this.

Would either of these be "red flags" or are they done correctly, in their own particular manner?

Thanks

Geno

Mortise and tenon joinery is absolutely the strongest way to join two pieces of wood (together with dovetails). I don't know of anyone doing that in the industry, but if they are truly doing that, then you can be assured that its rock-solid on the framework.

A 'unitized coil spring system' is a pre-made drop-in grid that is done to save money. Its far less expensive than the the old tried and true 8-way hand-tied coil spring system which must be put in place by hand. Its not a bad system, many makers use it - but its not superior in any way, shape or form. I'm always amused when I see claims like that. A true 8-way hand-tied spring system is the gold standard for the industry and also the most costly to do.

You're good to go on both these either way, no red flags on either of those points.
    Duane Collie

gbreda Guest

Thanks again Duane

Check Hallagan's website. Click on GUARANTEE at the top and then Frame Construction. They are using mortise and tenon.....

http://www.hallaganfinefurniture.com/

Geno

gbreda Guest

OK, on Hallagan, the frame is Engineered Hardwood (IE: Plywood, correct?). The sales people stated Kiln Dried when I asked about construction, but not stated on the website.

Is that a cost saving measure or properly made?

Thanks

Ah-ha! Well, now that I can see it, I'd say its 'not bad', and about suited to the price point.

Plywood construction means the frame will rack, or twist. No way around it. Not a terrible thing, lots of furniture makers use it. That really negates the through mortise they are using (and its a through mortise, not blind and pegged which is what had me confused there for a minute). This is all CNC cut-plywood that appears to rely on a glue bond for the tenons. For a while you had me all curious that some frame maker was using real M&T joinery in a sofa frame! That construction is OK, nothing to 'write home about' as they say.

A solid 5/4" hardwood frame is definitely superior, but its going to knock you into a higher price class to get that. You can only do so many things in construction before it has to be reflected as a higher price.

Kiln-Dried Plywood...that's hilarious. Salespeople need to get their facts straight or otherwise keep quiet <g>

I like the cushion cores they use, and the steel banding in both directions. That's good. 8-way hand-tied (bet they are looped, not actually tied, only a few high end makers are actually knotting on each spring) is good. Back springs and tops of the arms just so-so. With that wrap on the arms you'll be able to feel the wood when you pinch it, but that's not a durability issue.

All in all, probably decent for the price charged. Should hold up well, but because of the plywood flex, be prepared to shim the legs if your floors are not level in the rooms its going in.
    Duane Collie

gbreda Guest

Thanks for clarifying Duane. We'll see how this plays out. The Hallagan is a comfortable unit. I realize it may not be top o' the line, but it apparantly is not junk either. Funny you mention the "twist" factor as I noticed it twisted when I picked up one end last Saterday.........

Looks promising that my first furniture "upgrade" will be from La Z Boy to Halligan.

gbreda Guest

Well, I spoke with a Hallagan dealer in Mass who had a few answers on the frame work.

Apparently they switched from solid hardwood to the Engineered Hardwood about a year and a half ago. I asked about the cost savings side to this decision. His response was that it was more of a practical issue explaining that the even consistancy (no knots etc) of the Engineered wood makes for better CNC cuts, therefore better fit. Probably a bit of both.

He was skeptical on this change, but has come to realize that it was not detrimental to the finished product. The only issue he had encountered was some leg breakage from roughly moved pieces. This has been resolved by making the ears of the legs longer and has not had any problems since.

This dealer carries Bradington-Young, Hancock and Moore, Highland House as well as Hallagan. For leather he would choose a more leather based outfit such as Bradington or even Hancock. But for fabric he would recommend Hallagan any day. This recommendation came when he knew that I was not in his area to buy from.

After a few calls where the sales people were still telling me about the solid hardwood, it was nice to finally find someone who knew of the change...and explained it a bit.

Sooooo, my choices of Hallagan, with Engineered Hardwood and eight way tied springs, or Smith with drop in spring system and solid maple frame that is corner blocked and doweled. Both have cost saving measures. Which one, if either, would be more detrimental.

Duane, you mentioned in an earlier post that either was decent in it's price point....does that still stand?
    Last edited by gbreda; 03-16-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Mortise and tenon joinery is absolutely the strongest way to join two pieces of wood (together with dovetails). I don't know of anyone doing that in the industry, but if they are truly doing that, then you can be assured that its rock-solid on the framework.

A 'unitized coil spring system' is a pre-made drop-in grid that is done to save money. Its far less expensive than the the old tried and true 8-way hand-tied coil spring system which must be put in place by hand. Its not a bad system, many makers use it - but its not superior in any way, shape or form. I'm always amused when I see claims like that. A true 8-way hand-tied spring system is the gold standard for the industry and also the most costly to do.

You're good to go on both these either way, no red flags on either of those points.
    Quick question, what if it's not TRUE eight way hand tied, I remember something about some manufacturer's taking shortcuts with them but don't remember the specifics.