Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Fabric Sectional

Default Re: Advise please?

Quote Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
    Well, I spoke with a Hallagan dealer in Mass who had a few answers on the frame work.

Apparently they switched from solid hardwood to the Engineered Hardwood about a year and a half ago. I asked about the cost savings side to this decision. His response was that it was more of a practical issue explaining that the even consistancy (no knots etc) of the Engineered wood makes for better CNC cuts, therefore better fit. Probably a bit of both.

He was skeptical on this change, but has come to realize that it was not detrimental to the finished product. The only issue he had encountered was some leg breakage from roughly moved pieces. This has been resolved by making the ears of the legs longer and has not had any problems since.

This dealer carries Bradington-Young, Hancock and Moore, Highland House as well as Hallagan. For leather he would choose a more leather based outfit such as Bradington or even Hancock. But for fabric he would recommend Hallagan any day. This recommendation came when he knew that I was not in his area to buy from.

After a few calls where the sales people were still telling me about the solid hardwood, it was nice to finally find someone who knew of the change...and explained it a bit.

Sooooo, my choices of Hallagan, with Engineered Hardwood and eight way tied springs, or Smith with drop in spring system and solid maple frame that is corner blocked and doweled. Both have cost saving measures. Which one, if either, would be more detrimental.

Duane, you mentioned in an earlier post that either was decent in it's price point....does that still stand?
    Looking at both companies I would say which ever one has a piece you find comfortable, like the look/style of, and find a Fabric that suits you.

I found an old smith brothers cutaway to show their construction methods on another website, not sure how current it is or if it's still accurate a dealer should be able to tell you though. Make sure to scroll down the page to see it.
    http://www.grandhomefurnishings.com/smithbrothers.php

Martha2 Guest

Duane-Thanks for the list of key elements to look for in quality upholstery. Would you be able to list 5-10 manufacturers for us that adhere to these standards? It is hard to get the whole story on some of their websites sometimes.

gbreda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    Looking at both companies I would say which ever one has a piece you find comfortable, like the look/style of, and find a Fabric that suits you.

True. The Hallagan is very comfortable for me. I have a bad disk in my neck from an injury, so a high back cusion effects me. There is a Smith Brothers series that is now disconinued that I found comfortable, but none of the units left in the store would fit my room. The current "5000" line had higher backs and were not comfortable.

I found an old smith brothers cutaway to show their construction methods on another website, not sure how current it is or if it's still accurate a dealer should be able to tell you though. Make sure to scroll down the page to see it.
    http://www.grandhomefurnishings.com/smithbrothers.php
    Thanks !!!! That does help. One dealer had a cutaway of the drop in spring system, but that was it. Looks similar to Hallagan in the back area design. Of course there are the Enginnered Hardwood vs Hardwood and the Dowelled Joints vs Through Mortise and Tennon.

Give and take on each piece.

Quick question, what if it's not TRUE eight way hand tied, I remember something about some manufacturer's taking shortcuts with them but don't remember the specifics.
    drcollie made mention that it is probably not tied and most likely looped. I have not been able to get that one answered. It would be good to know the drawbacks, if any. If it was mentioned, I would think it would mean something.

Does it affect the performance over time?

This would be helpfull knowledge.

I will say that any dealer that I have called who carries Hallagan has put them at the top of their list of quality lines. I'm sure there are better, but that comes at a price.
    Last edited by gbreda; 03-18-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
    True. The Hallagan is very comfortable for me. I have a bad disk in my neck from an injury, so a high back cusion effects me. There is a Smith Brothers series that is now disconinued that I found comfortable, but none of the units left in the store would fit my room. The current "5000" line had higher backs and were not comfortable.

Thanks !!!! That does help. One dealer had a cutaway of the drop in spring system, but that was it. Looks similar to Hallagan in the back area design. Of course there are the Enginnered Hardwood vs Hardwood and the Dowelled Joints vs Through Mortise and Tennon.

Give and take on each piece.

drcollie made mention that it is probably not tied and most likely looped. I have not been able to get that one answered. It would be good to know the drawbacks, if any. If it was mentioned, I would think it would mean something.

Does it affect the performance over time?

This would be helpfull knowledge.

I will say that any dealer that I have called who carries Hallagan has put them at the top of their list of quality lines. I'm sure there are better, but that comes at a price.
    I would say with either SB or Hallagan you can't do wrong for your budget. The people here could give you more brand recommendations if you shared your furniture budget and what you were looking to purchase. As to SB and high-backs I know they had a high-back when I went shopping that was very comfortable but it could be the one you heard was canceled. I think it was this model http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/slide...er%20Sofa.html

As for the springs I think when they are just looped and not tied, if something happens to one of the cords the springs in the area all get of whack whereas on hand tied should hold it because of the other tied cords holding in place. The experts will answer better than me though.

gbreda Guest

I would say with either SB or Hallagan you can't do wrong for your budget. The people here could give you more brand recommendations if you shared your furniture budget and what you were looking to purchase. As to SB and high-backs I know they had a high-back when I went shopping that was very comfortable but it could be the one you heard was canceled. I think it was this model http://www.amish-oak.com/smith/slide...er%20Sofa.html

As for the springs I think when they are just looped and not tied, if something happens to one of the cords the springs in the area all get of whack whereas on hand tied should hold it because of the other tied cords holding in place. The experts will answer better than me though.
    Yes, that is the SB that I found comfortable but discontinued. The 311 series. They currently have the 5000 series that puts a pressure point on my back.

My budget is around 3K for about 95" x 95" and the Hallagan is fitting that better than SB anyway. Even if I could get a SB 5000 series to my liking, it is $400-600 more.

Hubingtons Furniture in Barrington NH has the Hallagan in a fabric that we like and priced at 2979.00. It is also a few inches longer than the SB and is comfortable. I also spoke with the person that thought it was still kiln dried hardwood. After our discussion a few days ago questioning that, she had verified the change, so that was helpfull to her as well.

One more piece of advise...the fabric is Cleaning Base S and made up of 93% poly and 6 % Cotton. How well will this wear? What is best for spot cleaning?
    Last edited by gbreda; 03-18-2010 at 09:43 AM.

The Hallagan sounds like the piece you would rather sit in so I would choose that over the SB. That's too bad the SB 311 is canceled I almost bought it as a sofa last time and found it very comfortable for sitting in.

Here is another brand that it appears some dealers have near you. Temple furniture http://www.templefurniture.com/ they seem to fit in with SB and Hallagan though I don't see any high back sectionals. I have only seen this furniture in a store I shop at but seems decent.

Almost all upholstery fabrics are cleaning code "S", which is dry cleaning solvents only. Mills do that to protect themselves because water can set a stain on some fabrics. You can buy a small bottle of Carbona a the supermarket, its suitable for "S" cleaning, but ALWAYS test in a hidden are first before you go right to a primary surface and remember to always blot, not rub.

93% Poly and 6% Cotton will almost certainly 'pill' with use, depending on the weave and texture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gbreda Guest

The Hallagan sounds like the piece you would rather sit in so I would choose that over the SB. That's too bad the SB 311 is canceled I almost bought it as a sofa last time and found it very comfortable for sitting in.

Here is another brand that it appears some dealers have near you. Temple furniture http://www.templefurniture.com/ they seem to fit in with SB and Hallagan though I don't see any high back sectionals. I have only seen this furniture in a store I shop at but seems decent.
    Thanks Briant73. I took a look at the Temple link and priced out what might be good for me. I prefer a deep seat, so the 20" seat depth ones are out. The 3100 series seems good for me. The lowest end fabric priced out around 3500.00 and that unit would be on the high end of my length limits. Also, they seem to have odd sized seat cushions which makes rotating them difficult.

Also, the higher back cushions are what give me more of a problem than the shorter, I may not have been clear. It all comes down to sitting on it and if the pressure point hits a certain area, I know it right away. Its amazing how a bad disk in you neck can affect my upper back/shoulder area as well as my arm and hand.

Duane, thanks for the info on the poly/cotton. What kind of weave would be less prone in this blend? Am I looking for a tighter weave?

Still looks like Hallagan will be my choice.

All man-made fabrics will pill, so in the blends its good to look for more balanced content. Toughest fabrics I've ever come across are linen/wool/cotton blends but they have nose-bleed prices. I'd be more inclined to look for a more even balance of blends, like 45% Poly, 35% Cotton, 20% Nylon...that sort of thing. And tight weaves are good!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gbreda Guest

Thanks Duane!!!! This has been alot of help.