Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fabric Protection

CarolynR Guest

Question Re: Fabric Protection

I want to spray fabric protection on my new upholstered furniture. Is Crypton (by Guardian) or original Guardian more permanent than Scotchgard? You can now buy these products online. You don't have to get them applied by a rip-off protection "warranty"!

Carolyn

Default Re: Fabric Protection

Personally I'd choose Scotchguard.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Kelols Guest

Scotchguard is fine, but all wood parts, nail heads and non-fabric areas need to be covered prior to spraying. A lot of people have discovered wood finishes and Scotchguard don't mix.

Speaking of steam cleaning, my daughter found a love seat covered in a polyester ugly lime green velour fabric at a thrift shop. The price was $15. She absolutely thought that disaster was her dream piece. It looked like it came right out of a meth house or was used in a Bill and Ted movie.

I bought the couch and brought it home, but I wouldn't put it in her room until I was done with it. I don't generally recommend steam cleaning furniture, but in this case I steamed cleaned that couch half a dozen times until nothing in it could possibly have survived, and I mean that literally.

Just before my daughter went off to college, she instructed us to keep the couch until she graduated and could move it to her first place after school. I told her for the price I was paying for college I had hope that they would teach her enough that she would let me bring the couch back to the thrift store and be happy I did it!

A few weeks later her boyfriend was sent over to remove the couch from our premises because my daughter was afraid I would attack it with a chain saw. Dude tied it to the top of his 20 year old Subaru and motored off. I told my daughter that the boyfriend's compliance with her request after actually seeing the couch, and his unorthodox method of carrying it home left me with several questions about his future prospects. In the end she dumped the boyfriend but let him keep the couch. I guess college did some good.
    Last edited by Kelols; 09-05-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    'S' cleaning code means dry cleaning solvents only. Usually you can find a small bottle of 'Carbona' in the grocery store household cleaning aisle that will meet these requirements.

Two important rules when going after upholstery stains:

1) ALWAYS - and I mean ALWAYS - test first in an inconspicuous spot such as the decking under the seat cushion to see if the cleaning agent itself will set a stain ring.

2) Blot, never rub. Rubbing a spot can have disasterous consequences and spread the stain around.

Don't use steam cleaners on upholstery. Even thought the steam cleaner guys says "Its OK, I know what I'm doing". In truth, unless he knows the exact content of the material and then can assure it won't ruin the piece, then he's taking a crap shoot on your upholstery. 50/50 chance his steam cleaner will shrink the fabric (though it will probably work to remove the stain), and you won't see the damage until a week later when its fully dried and you notice that fabric is 'buckling' on the piece, or the skirt seems to be curling up, etc.

As always, glad to be of any help.

If buying high end used furniture, what is your suggestion for "cleaning" the furniture? Just vacuum? For peace of mind, because obviously the sofa was in another person's home, just want to know options to lightly clean it before we use it.

No different than the care codes already listed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.