Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather set in the living room

luluinnc Guest

Default Leather set in the living room

I live in a 1929 traditional home where there is a living room that serves as our family room at the front of the house. I have semi-formal style with antiques. I am considering the Hancock & Moore rugby sofa, rugby lounger and rugby club chair in Buckingham Walnut Burnished. Do you think 3 pieces is too much leather? And does the Rugby style look too informal or den like? Thanks so much.

luluinnc Guest

Default Re: Looking for help with window treatment

I agree with drapes but hanging straight down in panels about 12 inches wides and not pulled across. You could pull out another shade from your rug that is appealing. Possibly a taupe shade, beige or gold would be more appealing to your wife. The green seemed to pick up shades in the rug , but you all will find a pleasing shade. The room is coming along nicely. Have you all considering what your will do to the fireplace? Painting it or mantel change? Just curious. The sofa is phenomenal!!

Default Re: Leather set in the living room

The Rugby Series is going to look informal in Buckingham Walnut Burnished....will be handsome for sure, but definitely informal in sort of a luxurious way. Overall it will have a masculine tone to it or as my wife tells me when she sees it "Ultimate Man-Cave Furniture".

Three pieces is not too much for most rooms, but bring in some color from accessories such as rugs, paint and window treatments.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

luluinnc Guest

ooops I just saw this answer after I sent another message to you. If Buckhingham will make it feel informal what shade do you feel would be preferable? It sounds like you feel this could be too" man cave" for a living room? I thought the Laurel sofa was a pretty piece but had a hard time deciding on which recliner and which club chair to use with it.

luluinnc Guest

Default New/ need help with Living Room Leather

I am new to the site. I love hancock and moore. I had been considering rugby sofa, lounger and club chair for a living room with antiques/semi-formal but felt it may be too informal. I was considering Buckingham Walnut burnished or Weston Cane Burnished. I also love the Laurel sofa but I did not know which recliner or chair would go best with that sofa. I do like the Reserve as well, but I do not know if that sofa looks any more formal either. the Citizen is another sofa I like. Does anyone have any wisdom to offer? I am using this with a celadon green oriental style rug, with browns, golds and a small touch of wedgewood blue. I have pix posted of my current living room under photos.

luluinnc Guest

If rugby may feel a tad too masculine. I definitely love the Laurel sofa. Would it look good with the Buckingham Walnut Burnished? And what recliner and matching chair combo pieces would you recommend as suitable companion pieces? I do like Citizen and Reserve as well. Do you like either of those collections in that shade as suitable and less man cave like. ( I love man caves but that is not the level of informality I was going for) Thanks so much.

luluinnc Guest

Default living room currently

I am considering the Hancock and Moore Rugby set in Weston CAne Burnished or Buckingham Walnut burnished. A sofa, recliner and club chair. Do you think this will look too informal or handsome. Uncertain. I like the square lines on the rugby as opposed to the round arms on some of the other collections. Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by luluinnc; 04-06-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add question

luluinnc,

Since you're new to the site let me suggest you keep all your posts on a topic in one forum thread. Makes it easier to reply to. Right now you have this topic in three different forums and I'm going to move them all here so they are in one place.
    Duane Collie

Not sure how much you want to get into decorating the room, but two things I would do before bringing in new upholstery would be:

1) Eliminate the heavy dark draperies around the TV Armoire. They compete with the television cabinet for the eye and it gives a 'piled-up' look to that end of the room. I'd replace them with wooden blinds, or if you don't need the privacy, a simple valance topper or perhaps even leave them bare.

2) Your walls could use some color. Too much an off-white cast framed with white trim. I'd consider a rich medium tan for the walls between the crown and chairrail, or a darker beige. A gentle green cast would work as well (like a Seamist color).

If you are going to re-decorate the room, you want to do your floors, window treatments and wall colors first. Last thing to go in is the upholstery.

If you want to keep eveything the same as it is now, then I'd come in with a lighter, honey-amber leather but not as masculine as a burnished leather (would be OK to do a single chair in burnished, but not all the pieces). Look at Kipling Whiskey, or perhaps Aspen Saddle (both GR2 hides)....or if your budget can tolerate a grade 4 leather than Capri Butternut would be smashing for the main sofa.

Pictures are a big help. Take from all four sides and if you want to do this step by step, do it in stages and show us the photos at each stage.
    Duane Collie

luluinnc Guest

Thank you so much Duane. Yes I do plan on changing the draperies and possibly omitting all together or atleast simple straight panels. I also planning on painting with a warmer contrast. I will look at the leathers that you suggested. Do you think with three matching pieces that you would use all 3 the same color , but one piece in Burnished? Thanks for fixing my posts!! I will get the hang of this.