Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather set in the living room

luluinnc Guest

Default Re: Leather set in the living room

I have added the other 2 wall pictures from the living room. The wall with the current sofa has a large painting that will stay. The small sconces will either go altogether or be replaced with larger ones. The room is also getting can lights in the ceiling with incandescent and halogen bulbs to adequately cast light on the paintings - so that will also help improve the lighting in the room. We also have 2 yorkshire terriers who are indoor dogs. I am reluctant to go with the most subtle unprotected leather due to toe nails marks, etc. I felt the Burnished leathers being somewhat mottled and not as solid would be more forgiving in terms of scratches or normal patina over time. Is that correct?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by luluinnc; 07-07-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: leather question?

Like Tim Rogers (President at Hancock and Moore) tells me, you can 'pick your poison' with pets and leather furniture. Dogs will typically put surface scratches in protected leathers and on the pure aniline hide, they oils from their skin can stain the leather darker. Of course, just like people, all dogs are not alike and it really depends on how much they are on the furniture and how aggressive they might dig in the sofa. Also, how often you are willing to clean and condition the leather.

Burnished leathers hide a lot of sins! And they are quite easy to 'touch up' with a glaze. If you decide to go with Burnished, perhaps say in the lighter color series such as Weston Cane or Imperial Whiskey and have dealer spec the burnishing as 'light' to keep the effect less dramatic.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

luluinnc Guest

I had a chance to go in the factory and see some pieces I was interested in. I did see both the Weston Cane and the Buckhingham Walnut I had mentioned earlier. Like you said Buckhingham appears slightly lighter and more amber than the Weston Cane. Hard choice. I think they said # 1 seller was Weston & that Buckingham was nearing in to be #2 favorite pick. I will look up Imperial Whiskey. ( I just wanted to add that to be able to go to the factory where it is made and be given a tour is a real class act for a company. The H&M operation is full of the best talent in the industry and tremendous humility at the same time. I can not say enough about these people as a company)
    I do like your idea of "light on the burnishing". I was reluctant about burnished because I think leathers that have had a process like that can sometimes look dated in the coming years. But I did feel the" forgiveness factor" weighed in. Also having early American antiques in the room, the burnishing fits in with the rest of the patina in the room. The dogs are not oily and don't have a big impact on the furniture, but I did feel they made me shy away from Grade 4 because I want a home we can all live in and feel at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by luluinnc View Post
    Thank you so much Duane. Yes I do plan on changing the draperies and possibly omitting all together or atleast simple straight panels. I also planning on painting with a warmer contrast. I will look at the leathers that you suggested. Do you think with three matching pieces that you would use all 3 the same color , but one piece in Burnished? Thanks for fixing my posts!! I will get the hang of this.
    I think overall that largely depends on your individual taste as to what works for you. Here's a shot in my store that I took this morning of a little setup I have that shows a Weston Cane Burnished chair, a H&M sofa in Capri Tobacco, and then a Jessica Charles chairs in fabric that blends the group. There's really no right or wrong, just what you would like to have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Store2.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	900  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

luluinnc Guest

thank you. pictures help so much.

luluinnc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LloydBurrell View Post
    Hi luluinnc,

I agree to drcollie's second advice: given the amount of light in your room, some color would definitely make a difference. I noticed that the vases and the ashtray/plate on the table share the same turquoise tint and figured that you prefer small spots of colored decorations in your room. My advice is to play a little more with the light. Adding white spots could be of great help.

Lloyd Burrell
    Publisher
    www.officedeskreviews.com
    HI Lloyd,

They just finished hanging 6 recessed can lights in the living room to highlight the paintings. The walls are getting painted with a richer shade of taupe and my furniture gets delivered on Tuesday. So I will assemble a picture and post it soon. I have taken the drapes down to paint. And will have to decide if they can be reconfigured into long panels without the top Austrian swag type top. I do feel I may want some type of fabric window treatment to add softness to the room since I went with 3 pieces of leather. I truly hope I love 3 pieces of Rugby Hancock and Moore in the living room. I went with the sofa, recliner and club chair. I did Weston Cane - lightly burnished based on Duane's recommendation.

luluinnc Guest

I am attaching a picture of the room. The Weston Cane burnished Hancock and Moore Rugby leather set just came in. Sorry the picture is not the best. I plan on changing the drapes so they are straight panels with no topper. Also the wing chairs are going to get a new fabric that is patterned so it can stand up to the bolder feel of the leather. I like the look and I think it does show that you can indeed have leather in the living room in an older traditional home.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by luluinnc; 07-07-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added picture

nhpinnacles Guest

Your room looks great. The Weston Cane Burnished gives the room a rich elegance and welcoming glow. Well done.