Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palliser Leather Peeling

blucy45 Guest

Default Palliser Leather Peeling

I bought a beautiful set of Palliser leather furniture 9 years ago. Last year I noticed the leather started to peel on one cushion. From then until now, all of the cushions have big holes in them and they seem to be disintegrating day by day. I called Palliser but since my couch is 9 years old, they don't have the same color of leather in stock but they did offer to make me a replacement set of covers using a "closely-matched" leather. I went to the store where I purchased the furniture and had a guy closely match the leather. I was so excited to get the covers but they came back in a brown color. Not even close to what I ordered - cost $200. Now they won't do anything for me at all. For a long time they wouldn't even answer my phone calls or emails. If you are buying leather, make sure you call the company to see how long the leather will last. the Palliser person I talked to said this was "normal" for their furniture and the set I bought was not meant to last more than 10 years and they figured I had gotten my use out of it. We paid $5000 for the entire set - so that's $500 a year! I will never buy another set of leather again but am looking to replace the covers and can't find a place yet.

blucy45 Guest

Default Re: Palliser Leather

continued from above: However, the construction is solid on the furniture itself, but I wish I would have known to choose a heavier leather that was less comfortable in the beginning that would last a lifetime. We chose a middle-grade, not too soft, not too hard. That, from what I am told by the people at Palliser in Canada, was my undoing.

blucy45, longevity of a leather cover is dependent almost entirely upon the care and upkeep of your pieces once you have them home. Grade of leather has very little to do with it, cleaning and conditioning of the leather has everything to do with it. They probably never told you that at the store when you purchased it. Most stores don't, for two reasons: 1) They don't know to do so (uneducated sales staff) or 2) they don't want to scare you off from a purchase.

Leather will outlast a fabric at an approximate ration of 4 to 1, so while a "lifetime" expectation may be a bit much, you should be able to get 20 to 30 years from a quality leather furniture piece IF you clean and condition the hide every 6 months. I have three leather pieces in my own home right now from three different makers and all have past the 20- year mark with no need to be replaced. But we do the maintenance on them every Spring and Fall (when the clocks change, always a good reminder), and they have held up well.

Entry price grade or the most expensive...doesn't matter. Keep 'em clean, conditioned, and out of direct sunlight.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

blucy45 Guest

Thanks for the response! When we bought the furniture, we were told never to clean it with anything but only to wipe it with a damp cloth, that's all. Palliser said the same thing, so we never did anything to it up until I seen the tears coming and by then it was too late. Next question: I have been looking on the web until my eyes are bloodshot for replacement covers in leather - can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

Its not cost effective to recover a Palliser, and you'll never get a match to the covers. Just use it a bit longer until it gets looking too shabby and buy a new sofa.
    Duane Collie

blucy45 Guest

Default Re: Palliser Leather Peeling

Just the seat cushions are bad, 2 out of 3. I think the one cushion can be repaired. The thing is, the furniture we bought is a matching set, couch, loveseat, oversized chair, and an automan. Nothing has happened to the other pieces, just the couch cushions. So to cover it with cloth would throw off the balance of that room - but I'm no decorator so maybe could ask one and see.

Is that what you meant by "using a cloth?"

Here's a little trick you can do. Rather than trying to match the hide for the replacements covers, go contrasting. Its very chic in decorating to do - I even have a piece in the store like that right now. Trying to match covers in an older sofa with new is about as easy as finding Jimmy Hoffa.
    Duane Collie

I agree with Duane's trick. However, if you don't want to invest in new contrasting leather, perhaps you can cover just the seats in fabric. I've seen new furniture with leather covered frames and back cushions but the seat cushions and throw pillows were in a coordinating fabric. Also, if not attached, you could cover both back and seat cushions with fabric.

H&M's website has several models shown with a leather covered frame and fabric back and seats. See Ashmore and Lacross as examples.
    Last edited by juliepooch; 04-07-2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo

blucy45 Guest

This is the best site in the world! You guys are so helpful! And Fearless Leader? You are HILARIOUS! I still have the cushion covers that Palliser sent me that were the wrong color, more a brownish color compared to my burgundy couch. Maybe I'll throw them on their today and see if I can live with it. Otherwise, I think I will just find a fabric that will coordinate. I'm going to go to the siets that juliepooch suggested and have a look! Thanks again! Also, for the other pieces of furniture, I WILL be ordering the cleaners and protectants -

Does H&M recommend a particular leather conditioner for protected leathers? How does it penetrate?