Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&M Leather from China

newbie44 Guest

Default H&M Leather from China

Hi Duane,

i have a question. I saw in older thread that H&M Married program they get leather from China and you did not like that. I saw in another place you said that H&M for their Document leather they get that now from China. Do you still feel that this is OK now and why?

Thx
    Tom

Default Re: H&M Leather from China

There are three leathers from H&M that I know are sourced from China:

Document
    Cavalier
    Rancho

Do I like those leathers? Not particularly. To me, they're the Chez-Whiz of leathers. Too heavily processed, too artificial. I like 'real leather', that shows some marks of the trail, natural fat wrinkles, healed scars and the like. Aniline-dyed instead of Finished. But that's just me.

Do they serve a purpose? Certainly...Document and Cavalier allow entry level buyers to acquire a Hancock and Moore piece at a very aggressive price point, buyers who would be shut out of a grade 3 or 4 leather because of price. If someone only has $ 2,500 to spend as an absolute top price, then there are frames we can get them in for that price in those leathers.

If you're asking if they are safe or durable, I've had zero customer complaints on the hides and H&M tells me they have no concerns and that its an important part of their business. As for the Chinese aspect of it all....who knows? Seems every few months there is something coming out about product made in China (I saw on the news last night about Chinese wallboard problems used in homes in Florida). Caveat Emptor!

The best hides come out of Europe. You'll pay a price for those, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane is there a list of H&M leathers and their origins?
    Paul

No, there is no list. Nor is there likely to be. I've asked for it many times.
    Duane Collie

newbie44 Guest

Hi Duane,

Thx for the information. Another question The frames of H&M that cme on the Document etc. leather are done to the same std or they are done to different std ?
    Thx

Tom

newbie44 Guest

Hi duane,

Since H&M is a great Beand, they stand by their products , what speacial things they do in China like select the best raw hide, select the best way to process that and at the end select the best products for them selves? Do you have any ifo on this? Their major selling products come out of these .

Thx

One last question, does H&M inform you of a production date on ordered pieces?

Check out Duane's 07-14-2009 post "Hancock and Moore Leather Descriptions" in the Leather Upholstery section. This post lists the origins of some of the H&M leathers such as "Bari" from Italy, "Brahma" from South America, "Capri" from Germany, etc.
    Last edited by juliepooch; 04-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.

There is only one standard for H&M construction and it remains the same no matter what collection or cover is used on the piece. If its branded Hancock and Moore, then you know you're getting the best.

They own a subsidiary company called Randall Allen, which is 100 % made in China. That will not be branded as H&M, and some dealers in the past have sold it as though it is. I do not carry Randall Allen and will not carry furniture made in China as its my personal preference to not do so.

Yes, H&M sends an acknowledgment to their dealers appx. 10 days after the order is submitted which has an approximate shipping date defined as "Mid-May, Early-June," etc.
    Duane Collie

newbie44 Guest

Hi Duane

how does H&M do quality controll on their Married cover even if it is from China. I have seen some where that they dropped the married cover from China in 2007. Is that true?

Thx